COS3 - Lighting and shadows

Is there a way to have a star emit light, and to cast shadows on the dark side of planets?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited January 2018
    No. It is technically possible to make planets react to the global sun that way, but that would mean creating proper shaded symbols for the planets as well (like houses from CD3), as they stand now, they are just flat images that don't react to light. CC3+ also have a point light system, but that only uses entities to block light (like a wall), it can't make shaded symbol react to this light the same way as they do to the global sun, so this would allow the planet as a whole to cast a shadow on whatever is behind it, but it won't shade the planet itself according to light/dark sides.
  • Always RTFM...

The symbols for CA22 support lighting from Global Sun. Doh!
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Seems like I was misremembering things a bit. Cos3 default planets already have masks as well, but they also have a built-in shade in the image which kinds of ruins the effects, the CA22 planets are much better for lighting. Do note this only works with global sun though (and not point light), which works best if the sun is at the edge of the map. If the star is in the center of the map, the lighting won't be as good, because it will come from above.
  • Hmmmmmm. I think I need to figure out a way to make point light work, but that's for the future. For now...maps!