Question from a futur buyer

Hello'

I'm currently looking for a descent and graphic-oriented map-design software, and stumble on profantasy CC3+. It's seems nice, but I still have some questions regarding the product

The first one is the scale of mapping;
Is there a limitation of the size of the drawing board ?
Does it include some zooming option/ or "link" to and another level of detail ?
best case scenario : having something like a google map. Second one is somewhat like what you can see at the community atlas ; a map, within a map, within a map, etc…
http://atlas.monsen.cc/

Second is level of detail;
I want to include some geopolitical information, geological survey, etc, in top of the original map, does CC3 can offer me a way to do that ?
I’m talking about layers, and maybe to create some kind of interactive map with button to show different kind of information.

Thanks

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: beeeeberIs there a limitation of the size of the drawing board ?
    Not for any practical purposes. When you start a new map, you are prompted to define dimensions, but you can easily just delete the border palced and continue working outside the original size.
    Does it include some zooming option/ or "link" to and another level of detail ?
    You can place hotspots in the map that you can click on to load a different map (or another kind of file, such as a document). Of course, being vector based and with quite high resolution provided for raster artwork, you can zoom pretty far in a single map as well (but it does not have an ability to show additional details as you zoom in, so using hotspots to switch between different main " detail levels" are usually the best option )

I want to include some geopolitical information, geological survey, etc, in top of the original map, does CC3 can offer me a way to do that ?
    I’m talking about layers, and maybe to create some kind of interactive map with button to show different kind of information.
    Yes. In CC3+ terminology, these layers are called sheets, but you can add sheets with various kinds of information, and you can hide and show these as you want (either by manually visiting the dialog, or setting up clickable hotspots to serve as buttons to call a macro to hide/show things, and these clickable hotspots can also load up external files.
  • taustinoctaustinoc Surveyor
    edited January 2018
    On size, the practical limit is your computers system resources. Things can slow down a lot if you overload the computer. But if you have a fairly new computer, that limit is pretty large.

On zooming, as Monsen said, you really want to use hotspots instead. It's not Google Earth.

What you're thinking of as layers are called sheets. Sheets can do some really awesome things, like apply various effects to blur edges, or add shadows. There are also layers, which are vaguely, sort of, like sheets, but without the effects. This is good. You can have stuff on different sheets, because you want different visual effects on different items, but on the same layer, so you can easily hide or show them in a single action.

CC3+ is a very powerful program. It's complicated, and parts of the interface are counter-intuitive, so mastering it can be a challenge. But it's well worth it.