Edit Symbol Properties?

I have finally organized a bunch of random symbols I've acquired from various sources and put them into symbol catalogs. Now I want to go back in and adjust some. For example the catalog FURNITURE -- there might be 100 symbols in the catalog but say 8 are rugs and 4 are curtains. When I created the symbol catalog I checked the FORCE TO SHEET and made the sheet SYMBOLS*. Now I want to change some so that the rugs are forced to sheet SYMBOLS FLAT, curtains to SYMBOLS WALL, etc.

1. How do I go about doing that?

2. Can I edit multiple symbols at once, or is it a one-by-one deal?

Thanks so much. I looked through the TOME and saw the section on editing symbols, but it was more on changing the actual image, which is not what I want to do.

OH! And...

3. How do I gather groups of symbols within a catalog so that they appear in a single square in the catalog window with the little + in the corner (sorry, I know I'm not using the proper CC3 terminology for that but I can't think of it right now)? So that the rugs, for instance, would all be under one square and clicking on the + would expand and show them all in the window? Like is often done with multicolored symbols, trees, etc.

Thanks so much!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I am on my phone right now, so this is just a brief overview, tell me if you need more detail, and I'll provide.

1. Open up the symbol catalog as a map in the main map window using the regular file --> Open command (as opposed to opening it in the symbol catalog window.
    2. Go to Symbols --> Symbol manger
    3. Select a symbol (you can also hold down ctrl to do multi select), then click options. Here are the options for all your questions.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited January 2018
    Just a note to add to Monsen's reply. To group symbols, they must all have the same name and end with a number, or the same name up to a comma, and then be different.

For example:
    rug 1
    rug 2
    rug 3

Or

rug, Persian
    rug, throw
    rug, plain
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    Alrighty, so once I do my editing and grouping in the Symbol Manager how do I save the changes back into the original symbol catalog? Do I just save it as the original catalog again (say, FURNITURE), and the changes are overwritten into that catalog?
  • An update would wipe those changes. Saving the symbol catalog to a different filename would be better.
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    There will be no update to this as it is not ProFantasy symbols but stuff I've collected elsewhere. I just need to know how to save changes to symbols in personal catalogs. I don't want to save changes into sub-catalogs as that was the idea of cataloging it all in the first place so that it wasn't all spread out.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Just hit the save button. There is really no difference from working with a symbol catalog and working with a map (or a template). Only thing to remember is to always load the thing you are working on into the main map window, as loading a symbol catalog into the catalog window only allows you to use it, not modify it.