Adding a Volcano to FT3

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site and everything Profantasy. I'm trying to add a big (currently dormant) volcano to my Islands in FT3.
I have no idea what I'm doing and there no easy "add volcano" button, unfortunately. Just looking for help.

Comments

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    FT3 probably doesn't have enough editing resolution to represent a volcano with any accuracy. Large volcanos in around the world are all less than about 10 miles in diameter. At maximum resolution for an Earth-sized world, FT can represent (25000 mi circumference / 8190 editing samples) = 3 miles per editing sample. A large volcano would therefore be about 3 pixels across. You should be able to get that with a normal painting brush. It just probably won't look very good, is all.

If you're doing something different than a whole-world map with FT3, you should be able to use the painting tools to get your desired result.

If you're up for learning another tool, https://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=70262 offers an example of how to make a volcano height image with a tool called Wilbur. This image can be used as a paintbrush in Wilbur, and you can then stamp it onto your terrain. However, resolution will make a huge difference in how such a stamp would appear in the final result.
  • edited January 2018
    I have heard about Wilbur and wanted to use that. I also just purchased Bryce 7.1. I was reading the Terraformer guide (which BTw you are in the credits for) and I was trying to figure out how to take my "world" from FT3 and put it into BRYCE. I have so much to learn.