Community Atlas - Lampoteuo Region

Hi Team,

Here's a progress shot on my work on the Lampoteuo region. I have basically mapped the detail of what was provided in the regional map at this stage. Next I will start to add more detail and make the grasslands around the area more interesting.

Open to any and all constructive feedback.

Thanks,

Daplunk

A Map

Comments

• The river looks like the roads in that it doesn't look like a river except for the color. Maybe more wiggle in the river path. Fractalizing the river may add too much.
  • edited January 2018
    I'd say the same as Jim's comment. Otherwise, I like it. Nice mix of trees and structure symbols.
  • For a map this scale, I'd fractalize both river and roads a smidgeon, add some rocks and scrub trees, and make the farmland a little less regular, and a better edge Fade. Just suggestions. I like this otherwise, and especially the gorge from where the river emerges - perhaps rapids or low waterfall here?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Note that an alternative to fractalizing things is to just grab the drawing tool and draw a new version, following the general path of the original, but adding more bends and such. This often gives a better result for roads and rivers than fractalizing when making detail maps from an existing map. A river/road (and many other features) can have rather large bends on a regional map that would not turn up on a continental map.
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    I am also curious about the river... It comes through the village, yet there is no sign of water inside the village gates, and more importantly, there are houses right where the river would flow...?
    edited January 2018
    Posted By: ScottAIt comes through the village, yet there is no sign of water inside the village gates, and more importantly, there are houses right where the river would flow...?
    I think this is pretty forgivable, as there isn't a symbol for every exact circumstance. The symbol only indicates there is a city, there, it doesn't really show the layout of the city (that is for the zoomed in city map that follows). Based on the world map, the map seems to be around 150 by 120 miles or so, so it isn't that reasonable to make the city larger at this scale to be able to include such details either, symbol itself is already larger than the actual city would be.
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    Didn't realize it was a symbol -- saw the other houses and towers about and thought the city had been built...
  • Posted By: MonsenNote that an alternative to fractalizing things is to just grab the drawing tool and draw a new version, following the general path of the original, but adding more bends and such. This often gives a better result for roads and rivers than fractalizing when making detail maps from an existing map. A river/road (and many other features) can have rather large bends on a regional map that would not turn up on a continental map.
    Yeah, thats what I meant when I said the river needs a bit of wiggle in it.
  • Thank you all, excellent feedback!

I hadn't even thought about the roads and river yet. Yet were a direct import from the original map. I shall tackle those tonight. Agree that the normal drawing tool should work here.

I'm keeping away from the idea of rapids and waterfalls and the city is designed around the concept of shipping being used for trade down-stream to Nyxotos. It could possibly have an elevator installed down the side of a waterfall with a port on either end though... hmmm. It would probably be more efficient for them to trade with Katabaros if that was the case.

And yes there is no symbol that shows the river coming through the map so this is not a realistic representation of all the buildings but symbols to represent the core locations. I've attached the progress on the city. It's one I started a long time ago but never finished re-purposed for the Community Atlas.

My current challenge is to bring life to the vast grassland areas. It's way too barren right now and I need to find something that looks acceptable to give it life while stiff remaining true to the large grass plain from the regional map.

A Map
  • Made some progress on the regional map tonight. Nearly time to start labelling I think.

A Map
    Looking nice, I like it.

It is looking a bit weird to me that none of the small roads south of the city try to cross the river though, everything seems to need to pass through the city, even though it is actually a fair distance away.

That river also look a bit on the wide side. You haven't placed scale bars yet, but it looks unnaturally wide. Have you tried just using Info -> Distance to measure the width of it? By using a polygon to represent it, it looks much nicer, but it also turns into more of an accurate representation of the river, and not a simple line just indicating it is there, so width suddenly becomes more important.
  • edited January 2018
    I think the slight green patches of color and the isometric rocks and things really made this map pop. I like it! I do agree with Monsen about the bridge. Great job on this map! Oh yeah, I really like the way you've draw the little hobbit community in the bottom left. Very nice!
  • Looking at it now I can't believe I missed the brides down the southern end! :) Thanks great suggestion.

Scale bars is something I have very little experience with. I always map by making it look acceptable not measured correctly haha. I'll play with that tonight though and have a think about the width of both the river and the main road.

I spent two nights staring at this map unsure how to make the vast grassland come alive. Ultimately I had a discussion with Tony Crawford and he gave some hints on how do it and I'm really happy with it. The isometric symbols work quite well in the regional maps i find.

Haha the hobbit holes I have not put any thought into from a story/regional impact point of view. I just figured they looked cute haha. Will need to figure it out though as I am documenting this in Realm Works also.
  • This one is nearing completion.

* Barbarian tribe names to be confirmed by Realm Works community member who is documenting these tribes.
    * Barbarian towns to be updated to match tribes based on information as per above.
    * Quarry - should it be moved closed to the hills since that would represent a more realistic source of stone.
    * Border - should re-work this, it's doing funky things on the corners.
    * Sign the map.
    * Name the 2x caves.
    * Should I name the river?
    * Roads are not visible enough. Reduce effects.

A Map
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    This is looking great Daplunk :)

Not so sure about the shadows on the trees. I think overland maps look better without them - but that may just be a personal thing ;)
  • At this scale of map, yes, definitely name the river.
  • 15 days later
  • Some slight modifications with a few more tweaks to go.

A Map
  • Perhaps including a tweak to your signature, so it doesn't seem as if the southwestern road is really leading to the mysterious off-map settlement of Josh Plunkett? ;)