Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2018

Hi Everyone :)

I've still got the flu!

Are there any German translations or videos about how to use the Symbol Manager and create new catalogues?
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Ralf. might know.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Thanks Jim :)

He was my next port of call tomorrow morning.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any German literature/videos I could point him to tonight.

I have a keen new CC3 mapper over at the Guild. He's ok with simple written English instructions, but I think there may be a spoken language barrier, since I've referred him to Joe Sweeney's video about using the Symbol Manager twice now, but he's not showing any understanding of the matter at all.

I was thinking that he'd probably be really pleased if there was a German version of the Tome, for instance?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I also keep dropping increasingly heavier hints about coming over here to meet everyone, but...

I suppose its early days!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

As far as I know, there aren't any CC3(+) documentation in German. I think there used to be some community translated stuff back in the CC2 days, but I don't know exactly what and how much, and I don't have any of it. Ralf may have something lying around, but I think all of that is pretty old stuff.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Then it looks like I will have to try and persuade him to contact Ralf directly. Maybe the only way is by German email?

Mark Oliva has already given him Ralf's PF email address when we ended up both trying to help him get the hang of importing bitmap fills, but from the sounds of things he hasn't made contact yet.

He's understood the bitmap fills side of things all right, and he's made a really nice map, but I' baulking at the idea of even trying to explain the Symbol Manager in restricted English. Its not even as if I am expert enough to know that my advice is 100% correct.

I just don't want to confuse the poor man!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

What about Latin for the Cardinals in Rome? Seriously though, it would be great if a German CC3 user could translate, say the essentials Guide and the Tome.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2018 edited

The basic four, I understand are French, English, German and Spanish these days.

It would probably cost too much in time or money to translate everything. Its just the Symbol Manager stuff - Joe Sweeney with German subtitles would do, I suppose?

When you install CC3 are there language options at the start? I really can't remember. If there are, then he may also be trying to deal with mentally correlating the difference between the menus on Joe Sweeney's video, and his own screen.

I don't know what the problem really is. Its just that a spoken language barrier seems likely because he's grasped the import bitmap fills really well from written English.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2018 edited

I don't think there are any language options during the install.

Of course, a step by step set of screenshots, may not require much translation if each simply numbers the steps for things like a bitmap fill.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

We've done the bitmap fills ;)

He's great fun to help. Naturally curious about everything.

Its just that I'm not very well right now, and even just trying to work out how to take him right through all the ins and outs of creating your first symbol catalogue, without accidentally using too many long English words is giving me a bit of a headache.

I never realised just how useful that video of Joe Sweeney's really was - not till I couldn't use it! LOL!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

This is the thread where Chronist is asking for help.

It might give you an idea of the tangle I'm trying not to get him all tied up in :P

https://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=40276&p=365367#post365367
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

And this is his first map:

https://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=40148
    • CommentAuthorScottA

That's pretty darn good for a first map.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I think I would have a hard time matching that even now, and I don't have to deal with software that uses commands and menus in a foreign language.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2018

There is no German language version of such instructions, sorry. But you can of course always direct him to me (ralf@profantasy.com) if he needs any help in German.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2018

Thank you Ralf :)

I've given him your email address.

Mark Oliva has since added a comment to Chronist's thread entirely in German, offering to help, and Chronist has indicated that he simply hasn't had the time to watch Joe Sweeney's video about using the Symbol Manager.

If there is still a problem once he has watched it, I expect he will either turn to Mark or contact you directly :)
    • CommentAuthormictator
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2018

Hello,

instructions in German. Please i need them too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2018

We will not be able to create a full manual or set of instructions in German, sorry. That is simply too much work for a small subsection of people. If you have specific questions in German you can always write to me.

Wir werden leider nicht in der Lage sein, ein deutsches Handbuch oder ähnliches in Deutsch anzubieten. Es ist einfach zu viel Aufwand für eine zu kleine Gruppe von Leuten. Aber wenn jemand konkrete Fragen hat, kann er immer mich direkt anschreiben.