Creating a bigger world

Hi folks,

I want to create a bigger world map and than zoom into into, to see my detail maps.

Till now I made one map, but it's limited to its borders.

Hope you can help me.

thx

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited January 2018
    Generally, I don't recommend adding so much detail to a single map, for the following reasons:
    - The details needed to view a detail map when zoomed in tend to look really messy when you zoom out, because it is just an enormous amount of detail that cannot be made out, and tend to ruin th elook of the zoomed-out map
    - Putting too much detail in a map will impact performance severly. Even if the details are too small to really make out when zoomed out, it will still need to be drawn.
    - You're usually end up with mapping burnout long before you're done, because mapping the entire world to the same detail level usually ends up being A LOT of work.

You can avoid those problems by having sheets that you turn on and off as you zoom in and out, but that comes with the requirement of actually do so.

Instead, I recommend you put in links on your map, so that you can have a world map, and when you click on a continent, it switches to a more detailed view of that continent, clicking on a region of that continent brings up a detailed regional map, clicking on a city brings pt he map of that city, and clicking on a house in the city brings up the floorplan for this house and so on. This method gives you far more flexibility, and the advantage of having a nice navigation system while at the same time being able to keep each map separate for easier mapping and better performance. It also allows you to focuse on the interesting area, and tackle them one at a time.
    This is what we do in the Community atlas, you can browse it on the web, or download the actual atlas from the download page to see how this is done in CC3+. Note that links are by default invisible, so I've marked them in the atlas to make the location clearly visible.