What i can buy or not as Noob

Hello, i make a turn based strategy game for Unity3d. Thanks to the advice from many nice guys here, i prefer CC3+.

It is a game like Daisenryaku (Advance Wars, Panzer General are heavy inspired from Daisenryaku). The Game is from the thematic a mix from Valkyria Chronicles and Wolfenstein.

I make a fantasy earth that resemble the real earth, but with many differences. For the game i need a strategical map where you have provinces with armys, ressources, Cities and factories.

What i think what i need:

100% CC3+

Symbol Set 1+3

World War 2 Interactive Atlas

Fractal Terrains 3

Many Add-ons are for RPG, what i not need.

Any help?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hello again, Mictator :)

I don't know any of these games you mention (I'm a writer, not an RPG player), so I can't really say what you would or wouldn't need as far as symbol sets are concerned, but if you eventually intend to make a set of more detailed maps of your cities you might like to consider getting the City Designer add on at some point in the future.

That is only a suggestion, however, since I'm not sure if you want to go down to that level of detail with your game :)
  • edited January 2018
    Well, the WW2 Interactive Atlas is basically a resource that tells you about all of the battles and things. Unless you want to read up about World War 2 then it really doesn't have much in the way of symbols or anything for mapping.

I would check out some of the annuals as well. For instance, the November 2009 Cartographer's Annual number 35 has lessons on how to make your own NATO style symbols for more modern military maps. The September 2011 Cartographer's Annual number 57 teaches you how to make military operations maps, similar to what you would find in the World War 2 Interactive Atlas.

Now Fractal Terrains 3 is really for mapping out entire worlds more than it is individual countries and battlefields. It is meant more to map out things like climate and oceans and mountain ranges and the kind of maps you would see from space.

You really should go look on the main Profantasy site under the Cartographer's Annuals and see what each annual has in it. This way you will be able to tell if it is something you need. Each annual also comes with more symbols and drawing tools each month of the annual that correspond to whatever mapping style they are showcasing that month.
  • GatharGathar Traveler
    Of those games, I only know Panzer general (even if I mostly played the fantasy general version). Since it's an hex-based game, it would really help you if you had an hex-based style. I think there is one by default, but this year annual also contains one (I've not tried it yet) that may prove useful if your game is hex-based too (https://www.profantasy.com/annual/2018/january18.html).
  • There are also CA43 hex overland, CA83 Overland hex, CA133 Mike Schley Hex.
  • edited January 2018
    If you are going down the hex-mapping route (which my cursory web-search seems to suggest is correct for Daisenryaku-style games - with which I have no familiarity otherwise, so sorry if this is wrong for what you intended!), Jim's suggestions are excellent from the Annual options, along with what's already packaged with CC3+. Even better though is you can download both of the first two issues from the relevant Annuals entirely free from the ProFantasy website, as part of the Free Annual Sampler pack! There's plenty more besides in that whole free collection, though much maybe a bit too RPG-related for what you need. But hey, it's free!!
  • Hello,
    I don't want to use it for battles. Unity have many hextile assets.

I need it for a Campaign Map. In this Map you see province with Cities, Factories etc and Geographic highlights (Mountains).

The Provinces are more like risk, but with more eyecatching details.