Unity3d compatible

How good can i make a map and import it to Unity3d?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Are you talking CC3+ or FT here?

For CC3+, I guess that depends on how you intend to use it, but remember that CC3+ is a 2D mapping program with no concept of height, so It isn't very suitable if you intend to use the map as basis for 3D-terrain in Unity. But again, it does depend on what you actually want.

For FT, you can export things as height maps, but remember that it is a world-generator, so it won't generate terrain on a detail level suitable for FPS-scale maps. But again, while FT has more concept of the 3D-space, it isn't a 3D-modelling program, and won't output finished models you can use in unity, it will basically be height maps and normal maps, which you can then use as a basis for terrain in Unity.
  • Hello, thanks for the answer. I need it for a political map with factory etc. A alternative WW2 scenario with medieval influence!
  • What is FT?
    I've talking about CC3+, but i search for anything.
    edited January 2018
    I am still unsure on how you intend to use it in Unity? Are you planning to make a map you can walk(drive/fly) around on in 3D-space (In that case CC3+ or FT (Fractal Terrains) is not what you are looking for at all), or are you planning to make a map that can be seen inside your application on a flat surface as a visual element (In which case the program may be appropriate)
  • Like a board game. No 3D Elements. Like Risk, Army Movement etc
    edited January 2018
    I see. Then you'll probably do fine with CC3+, as the symbols provided with it are of very high quality, and it supports ordinary .png files as symbols, so if you need something not provided, you can draw it yourself or find an image on the net. There are also a lot of add-ons with fills and styles for various purposes (city, dungen/floorplan, etc), as well as some pretty large free community provided sets.

I suggest you give it a try. ProFantasy have a 14-day satisfaction guarantee, so you can return it if you didn't like it. I do recommend you dedicate some time to learning the software before trying to actually make your desired drawing though, CC3+ does have a learning curve, and it is definitively NOT an image editor (so proficiency in things like PhotoShop doesn't provide any advantage here). The best thing to do is to actually work through the manual accompanying the software, even if it is primarily focused on overland mapping, it is designed to teach you the tricks you need to know no matter the type of map you will be making afterwards. Once you've done that, you'll be much better equipped to draw the map you actually want to draw.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I know you've sort of finished the conversation about the 3D aspect of making things for Unity3d, but as a general note for anyone finding this thread I've been looking around on YouTube, and it seems a lot of people use Blender or Sketchup to make 3D models for it. Blender is free, and there are no strings attached to anything you make in it. You can do whatever you like with the images and models you export from it.

Sketchup, however, is not.

You can use the free version of Sketchup (as I do quite often to make and render buildings for my own non-commercial maps), but you can't use it commercially unless you buy it, which is mind-blowingly expensive. About £700 last time I looked.
  • Thanks, a friend of me have CC3+ and says it is very difficult. That is not a problem for me. I learn good and fast.

Blender i have too, but i have no skill for 3D Models. But i need a strategical 2D Map with many highlights. I use a ingame 3D Card with Hextiles that i can buy as Asset. For 3D Models i have two guys that make them for me.

My questions is, have anyone experience with CC3+ to make Maps in Unity3D?

Hello Loopysue, you can make buildings in 3D. I need many.

Loopysue, write me a mail: mictator@gmail.com
    edited January 2018
    Gosh! Thanks, Mictator, but I don't actually make 3D building models - I only export rendered views of them for use in my 2D graphics ;)

I can't sell or give the renders away because they are done in Sketchup.

I was just adding a bit of information to your thread for you :)
    I feel really bad now, Mictator.

But maybe there is someone else here who can help you with 3D models that don't have any of those nasty Sketchup strings attached to them?
    I think CC3 would be perfect for the 2D map you describe :)

As for the 3D models - there are people who might be able to help you with the 3D Blender model side of your question over at cartographersguild.com, where there are a number of people who use the software.

Its not an easy place to join, since the anti spam measures are a bit fierce, but if you did join you could start a thread in the 'Mapmaking Requests' subforum asking for help. Most requests offer to pay, but it is up to you if want to try for free help.

Other than that, I would suggest googling the web for free Blender models, and see what you come up with :)