Another stupid question I am sure (newbie protections status: High)

Ok I have been playing with the different layer sheets, terrain properties, and now I want to set everything back to defaults. When I start a new map does it set everything back to default or is there a option to set everything back?

Thanks!

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited January 2018
    Hi ahawk1972. Welcome to CC3+ and the ProFantasy forum. Sorry I didn't welcome you sooner in one of your other threads.

You can reset effects settings within a map by re-selecting the style from the Effects Presets drop-down list in the Drawing Sheets and Effects dialog. Doing so will remove any effects you added and will reset the style effects to their default settings. You may be prompted to save the settings. CLICK NO. You may also be prompted to add sheets. You should generally click No to that too. Those sheets are leftovers from when the style was created and usually only clutter up the sheet list if you add them. Note that any sheets you added to the sheet list yourself (and anything you added to those sheets, like symbols or shapes and such) will remain, but any effects you added to those sheets will be removed.

You can save your effects first, as a new preset, by clicking the New button in the Drawing Sheets and Effects dialog. That way you can also apply your effects and settings to other maps (or re-apply them to the current map). Remember my warning above though — it holds true if you choose your custom effects preset, too.

Changes you make to the sheets and effects for a given map are specific to that map only. When you create a new map, the sheets and effects are copied from the style template, so they always start with the style defaults. You can change settings for maps made in a certain style if you make changes to the effects presets and then save them. I strongly suggest you avoid that though. It's highly recommended that, if you do want to modify an effects preset, you click New and save it with a modified name, and then make or tweak your changes to the copy. Remember to save the modified preset whenever you make changes you want to keep.

Also, this forum is here for folks to ask questions. We've all been at the starting end of the Campaign Cartographer Learning Curve™.

If I may, I'd like to offer my standard beginner's advice (and that's all it is, advice). If you haven't already done so, I strongly encourage you to follow the tutorials in the CC3 Essentials guide. The tutorials are short, fun, and very informative. If you have any add-ons, there are also Essentials guides for each add-on (DD3, CD3, Cosmographer, CA3, and Perspectives 3), but you'll want to start with CC3+ even if you don't plan to do much overland mapping. It contains a lot of software basics that the other guides build on. After that, consider working your way to the User Manual, video tutorials, and, if you can get it, The Tome of Ultimate Mapping. If you have questions as you go, please don't hesitate to come here and ask them. There are a bunch of helpful video tutorials here on the forum and on YouTube. Several forum members have their own channels, and pretty much everyone agrees that Joe Sweeney's tutorials are awesome. But, again, I personally still recommend working through the tutorials I mentioned above, too.

The The Essentials guides are just that — short, informative overviews of the most common and important parts of CC3+ and the add-ons. Just as importantly, they point out some of the more unfamiliar ways you use the tools, especially if you're used to traditional "paint" programs or even other CAD software. The map tutorial part of the CC3+ Essentials guide starts around p. 14 but I recommend reading through the whole thing — it's a fairly small document but it packs in a lot of good information.

A typical CC3+ installation has electronic (PDF) versions in the \ProFantasy\CC3\Documentation folder, where the default location for is C:\ProgramData. Also, the CC3 User Manual might be installed there as well. If not, you can download PDF copies of both documents from your registration page.

One thing to note is that the CC3+ Essentials guide was written for CC3 but everything in there applies to CC3+. Some button images might be a little different but they are similar enough that it should not be an issue. The CC3+ User Manual and the Tome were written specifically for CC3+ and they explain things in more detail. Also, you can open the CC3+ User Manual from the Help menu in CC3+.

Another good resource is the Interesting, Important, and Helpful Topics discussion. It's a "sticky" topic that always sits at the top of the forum discussion list. And, of course, the forum here is very active and filled with friendly, helpful folks. The community is typically happy to share what we've learned, or point folks in a helpful direction.  :D

Cheers and happy mapping!
    ~Dogtag
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    Hi ahawk1972. As Dogtag says, we were all beginners at one point, so please don't feel like you are asking dumb questions. I've been here for about a year, and do notice that there are certain repeat questions that new folks ask. You can always search the forums to see if you can find the answer to your questions, but no one is ever discouraged from posting here (other than a rather tenacious spammer who pops up from time to time!).

CC3+ has a pretty steep learning curve (or as someone else calls it, a learning cliff!), but it is not impossible. As Dogtag recommends, do the tutorials in the Tome, watch the various videos, etc. For me, the biggest problem was getting it into my head that CC3+ is a CAD program and NOT an art program, so I had to unlearn what I knew (not much) about art programs and commands and learn CC3+'s CAD commands. And while there is a lot that the program can do, I find what works for me is to take a command, learn it and use it until I understand it backward and forwards, and then go on to another. If you try to master everything at once you will be overwhelmed and probably feel defeated.

And most of all, the forum is a collection of some of the kindest, most helpful folk I have ever had the privilege of knowing on the internet. There isn't a troll amongst them. You will never be made to feel bad, stupid, argued with, put down or otherwise have any unpleasant exchanges here. This is a true community. SO never feel like you are asking a stupid or a newbie question. Everyone helps and shares here, and you can pick up loads of very cool and helpful tips and tricks from other members, and see lots of works in progress posted, as well. Always good for inspiration and learning.
  • Howdy and welcome to the forums !
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hello ahawk :)

Welcome on board!
  • Welcome. Don't fret about asking questions: I've been here for years and still consider myself a rookie. :)
  • Welcome from me too, from sunny Australia. So glad to see another interested member to the forums. The people here are so nice, so helpful and so patient. I have learned just so much from them. An excellent way is to submit your maps, and in the nicest way possible, people make suggestions which help you learn so much. But as Dogtag says ' actually doing the tutorials and making maps is the best way to learn.
  • Thanks guys for making me feel welcome. Yes the "not an art program" is what is killing me. I am very knowledgeable about graphics editing and art from the Photoshop world. This has thrown me for a loop. My biggest problem that mindset. The one thing I wish was that there was a landmass generating script or something that would allow me to import my maps I created in Photoshop and trace the land masses at least.

Thanks!
  • You can import a png, and manually trace around your landmass. Time consuming though, depending on the map
  • Yes it is! hahahahahah I think I am going mad!!!

Thanks!
  • I traced a large number of 5mm hexagon maps for my original Crtestar site. So, yes it is tedious, but it can be done. I found its easier to do a few per month. And when it typically gives me a headache, i find something else to do on mapping or just watch some cartoons on cartoon network. Bugs Bunny is still funny.