Help with fractalize

hi all,

I've started a new map in the Wroot style and wanted to use fractalize to make the coastlines look more natural. I followed the steps in TOUM and, while they looked fine for islands, I got weird results for landmasses that extend off the border, such as the northern landmass in the attached map. Those northern "seas" aren't supposed to be there. I had strength set at 30 and depth at 5. Too much? If not, is there something else I can do?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• This has happened to me plenty of times, since the fractalization affects ALL the coast, including the straight bit under the border you didn't want it to. two solutions (I have used both).
    1: delete nodes on the northern coastline - should only be less than 10 clicks using the delete node button on the right.
    2: break the line at either end of the coast (hide all sheets except the offending one) the rejoin as a polygon; I use the submenu under the explode button when you right click on it.
    Hope this helps, and great to see another Wroot map - I'm rooting for you!
  • You can use the top node edit to pull the edges back under the map birder. Also the steps Quenten. has mentioned. Using all 3 node edits are a learning thing it took me some time to understand.

I fractalize no more than 3 clicks. I find its better to do it that way. Smaller local maps can be fractalized. more times.

Once you understand the node edits it will help in all future fractalizing.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    And if you fractalize too much, version 3.80 introduces a SIMPLIFY command that might be able to clean things up a bit more than the old REDN command.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited January 2018
    If you drew the landmass with the land drawing tool, you can use the Edit command to quickly redraw the landmass under the border.

Try this:
    Don't panic — it's easier and faster to do what I wrote below than it was for me to write it!  :D
    1. Click the All map drawing tools [CC3 Button Image] button.
      The Select drawing tool dialog box displays.
    2. Click the Land, Default drawing tool.
      The dialog box closes. The cursor turns into a cross-hair and the command line reads, Fractal polygon: First point (E - Edit):
    3. Press the E key on your keyboard.
      The cursor turns into a selection cursor (small square) and the command line now reads, Pick start node:
    4. Click a point on your landmass near the border where you want to start redrawing it.
      The cursor attaches to the coast and if you move the cursor, you see a "ghost" sample of a fractal line, just as you do when you draw the landmass. The command line now reads, Next point followed by a bunch of options in parentheses.
    5. Click somewhere just outside the border.
      You're starting to redraw the landmass starting from the point you clicked.
    6. Move the cursor around the outside of the border and click at or near the corners.
      As you move the cursor, you may see the outline of the land you're drawing move straight along the border (restricted to the border), just as it does when you draw a landmass normally.
    7. When you've drawn around the border to the other side of the landmass, right-click somewhere near where you want to reattach your edit back to the landmass within the confines of the map. If you want you can also left-click and then right-click.
      The command line changes to read, Pick end node to connect to:
    8. Click where you want to close the landmass.
      The landmass "closes" just as if you drew it normally. Click the Redraw [CC3 Button Image] button for good measure.
      CC3+ refreshes the map drawing.
    Ta-daa! You've fixed your map in no time flat.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • edited January 2018
    Thanks for the suggestions, folks! I'll give those a try and report back.

Update: That worked perfectly Dogtag, thanks. I should have thought of (E)dit. It got to the Wroot of the problem.

Ahem. :)
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited January 2018
    Barliman elicited a groan with:It got to the Wroot of the problem.
    8-|

(But I'm glad it helped.)