Best Annuals?

I am looking for some opinions on the bang for the buck. I am looking for addition map styles and symbols. Which annuals in your opinion deliver?

Thanks!

Comments

• What map styles are you interested in ?
  • The idea behind my post is to get a feel for what you guys feel as the best annuals.

As far as me I would like to have more options then the default packaged with CC3+. I don't know of any resources other than the annuals to get addition styles with symbol collections for different mapping options.
  • I have all the annuals, and there are some that have absolutely nothing of use or interest to me. But those same annuals might be very useful or interesting to you. Similarly, the ones that I really like might be worthless to you.

Personally, I would suggest looking through the galleries on the annuals page (there aren't that many of them) and see which ones catch your eye.
  • Posted By: ahawk1972The idea behind my post is to get a feel for what you guys feel as the best annuals.

As far as me I would like to have more options then the default packaged with CC3+. I don't know of any resources other than the annuals to get addition styles with symbol collections for different mapping options.
    Are you most interested in overland map, city maps, dungeon maps? Do you like "hand drawn" looking styles or "photographic" looking ones?
  • Overland and city maps primarily, and my personal style is less "cartoony" if that makes sense. I am really drawn to great fill styles. I think fill styles really set the feel of the world you are creating.
  • I remember only one cartoony overland style... but that reduces the possibilities by one.

Note that if you buy an Annual, you are buying 12 monthly issues for each one.

There are some freebie ones you can download. I don't know where that link is, but someone will pop by with it.
  • I'll give you a straight answer, based on what I like. My favourite 2 annuals are Annual 1 (2007) and annual 10 (2016). Annual 5 (2011) also is a goodie (with 2 Jon Roberts styles for overland and dungeons, and another floorplan).
    But really, it depends on what you like most - overland maps, dungeons, floorplans, science fiction, modern.
  • The Annuals are like potato chips. You won't just eat one. So pick the one that meets your interests the most at this particular moment. You will eventually own most of them. I had no interest in overland maps when I started with CC3+ a year ago. Now I find myself tinkering with overland more than dungeons.

I do wish we could buy individual months of an annual for $6-$10 though.
  • I feel the 2015 and 2016 annuals are the best so far, especially for overland styles. By contrast, I didn't find much at all of use in the 2017 annual (but someone else might feel completely different).
  • GatharGathar Traveler
    The 2016 annual contains 3 overland issues that are designed to work well together. I've not used them yet, but I think this make a very interesting annual for overland mapping. But I think the best advise it to look at the samples and judge for yourself...