How To Install Annuals

I own CC3+ (v3.76) and just purchased the Cartographer's Annual v12 (2018) and downloaded the CA133_MikeSchleyHex.exe file. When doubled-clicking the exe file it triggers my Avast antivirus as a possible virus and then I receive an error dialog stating "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." There's an OK button that when clicked closes the dialog and nothing further happens. My OS is Windows 7 SP1. What do I do to access/integrate the Annual's content into CC3+?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited January 2018
    Sounds like your antivirus blocked access to the file. You'll need to disable the antivirus to run the annual installer properly. I have not detected any viruses in that file, nor have I seen reports from anyone else, so it is most likely a false positive. You can always submit it to an online scan service if you wish to be sure of that before disabling your antivirus.

As a side note, you say you are running CC3+ v 3.76, so make sure to run the latest update to update it to the latest version.
  • Yeah, this is a recurrent problem with Avast, but it only seems to happen with the Annuals, not any of the other ProFantasy .EXE file downloads for some reason. I usually now try a first install while I'm online, as that way the file gets sent to Avast for "checking" straight away. I can't proceed with the installation at this stage. Generally, by the following day (sometimes sooner - depends when I'm next online), it's fine and will install without problems. A bit like the classic cartoon car airbag joke, the return message from Avast sometimes then comes through just AFTER I've done this saying "no problems found"!

I don't like disabling my antivirus software while I'm online, and I reckon eventually Avast will get the message with enough repeat sendings of similar files that they need to update their triggering mechanics.

As an aside though, it may suggest there's something about the Annual .EXE files which is somehow mimicking something nasty. Perhaps a comparison between the .EXE file mechanics for the Annuals as compared to the other PF software might be useful, in case there is some kind of oddity about the Annuals after all?
  • I have the same problem with pcmatic. But it just blocks the install. I have to lower my firewall for the install time.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I just go offline and switch off my AV (if necessary) to install the annual.

Windows Defender (even though I have learned to loathe Win 10 generally over the last 4 months) doesn't seem to have a problem with annuals, and everything seems to go smoothly whether its on or off.
  • I use AVG on Win 10 and haven't had a problem installing annuals in the last year or so.