Fill Style Question(s) (Sorry new guy here)

I am looking for more realistic fill styles, and don't quite understand how to get them into CC3+. I have all the seamless textures I want to use and just need some help on importing them and how to get them to show in the fill menu. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Make sure your files are in .png file format, if not, use an image editor to convert them first
    Put a copy of your files somewhere inside the CC3+ data directory, for example under @Bitmaps\Tiles\MyFills
    Then inside CC3+, go to Tools -> Import bitmap fill styles.

In the source folder, make sure to select the folder you placed your files in, and make sure 'relative to CC3 path' is selected.

Check the 'Create other resolutions' button and leave copy to folder unchecked, then click OK. CC3+ will now generate the various resolution files you need based on your source files, and you should find your new fills under the 'Bitmap Files' tab in the fill dialog (and also in every dropdown where you can select a fill)
    Note that you may wish to edit each fill in the fill style dialog, and enable the 'Scaled' option. You will then need to experiment with the scaled values to find good ones, based on the size of your original files. By enabling 'scaled', you ensure that the fill scale correctly on zoom and export, otherwise it will be the same size no matter how you zoom.
  • Should I use PNG or convert them to BMP beforehand? Also is the naming convention of the files important so they show up where they need to be?
    Files should be PNG
    Naming convention is not important, but you should give them names to ensure they don't have the same names as other fills. Obviously, the names should also make sense.

Also note that this procedure imports fills into the current map (Fills in CC are per map basis, not global). If you wish these fills for otther maps, you must import them into each one (but you can skip the create other resolutions option on subsequent runs for the same fills). You can also import them into a template, which makes future maps based on that template contain them.
  • What would be a good pixel count be?
    Pixel counts depends a bit on styles, but most ProFantasy fills uses about 1000 x 1000 pixel squares for the highest resolution version of the fills. (and then the other resolutions are created automatically by the 'create other resolutions' options when you import the fill the first time)