The world of Londar - Llany Province

Hi folks!
First timer here. I brought the CC3+, DD3 and CD3 bundle a while ago, and have just today started to use it. I'm kinda pleased with my first attempt at a campaign map so thought I would share it with you.

Comments and Critique welcome

Martin

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited January 2018
    Very nice.

Things in the bottom left looks a bit square/straight though, both the roads and the edges of the lake. Looks a bit out of place.

I would also recommend using fading between the light and dark sea, right now the edge is a bit sharp. This is also true for some of the terrain transitions. To make the terrain transitions better, you should consider using multiple sheets, as you cannot fade between entities on the same sheet.

Welcome to the community.
  • Hi Monsen.

Thanks for your comments.
    The roads are meant to be straight - that area is home to a roman-esque chapter of knights
    I see what you mean about the lake though, and the transitions. Would it be better to place each terrain type (Farmlands, scrub, marsh etc) on it's own sheet?

Ye gods - this is addictive!
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: DM_HawkThe roads are meant to be straight
    I was guessing you would say something like that. My advice then is to look at the scale of the map (which I now notice is not shown on the map). Even the straightest building civilizations took local terrain into consideration. They may be super-straight on a local level, but they would rarely be completely straight on a higher level map. Of course, without a scale bar, I don't know exactly what scale your map is intended to be in.
    Would it be better to place each terrain type (Farmlands, scrub, marsh etc) on it's own sheet?
    If you need it, I guess. It creates a bit of extra complication, so it is not something I do by default, but whenever it is needed to get proper edge transitions, then yes.
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    Welcome to the forums. Very nice. A couple suggestions: the edge glow around the coastline is way too strong. Bring it down some so its more of a gentle, soft glow. Might want to bring the text glow down some, as well. Also, watch when placing natural items like forests and hills. Nature is very random, so avoid firm, static groupings. And of course, the terrain and ocean fades as already mentioned. I'm confused though, as you've used the HW style and the terrains automatically go to their own sheets, so it shouldn't be an issue of moving them.