Mike Schley hex map bug report

Hi

Just started using the the style from the 2018 annual.

Bug 1

I am unable to place any of the hex synbols on any partial hexes at the edge of the map area. I have tried using the partial hexes but no joy

Bug 2

The hex symbols often lose their sizing, becoming smaller that the grid size set for the map

I am running CC3+ version 3.8 on Windows 10

Cheers

Mel

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Ah, the partial hexes do have a problem that they haven't been renamed from the "normal" ones. Meaning CC3+ will re-use the normal one when you try to add a partial one with the same name. Please use the attached catalog for the partial hexes while I fix the download.

Note that the partial hexes will not scale automatically to the hex size as the normal ones do. You will have to set their scale manually. The easiest way is to use LIST on a placed normal hex symbol to see which exact scale is needed.
  • Ralf

Appears to have done the trick. I just to remember to note the scaling required
  • I tried using your file, and noticed that it did not rotate the symbols for a vertical grid. Not sure if it was supposed to like the "normal" ones do. Its easy enough to set scale as you mentioned and set the rotation to 30.
    Posted By: RalfAh, the partial hexes do have a problem that they haven't been renamed from the "normal" ones. Meaning CC3+ will re-use the normal one when you try to add a partial one with the same name. Please use the attached catalog for the partial hexes while I fix the download.

Note that the partial hexes will not scale automatically to the hex size as the normal ones do. You will have to set their scale manually. The easiest way is to use LIST on a placed normal hex symbol to see which exact scale is needed.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Same thing, defining the symbols as proper hex symbols makes them auto-size and auto-align, but also keeps them from being placed in partial hexes. That's something for future updates to fix.
  • When I do hexagon Traveller maps, the partial map hex problem is there to. I keep forgetting to mention it. My apologies.
  • What I would suggest is: leave a buffer of "dead" hexagons all around the map. After you export the map, you can then crop it manually to get rid of the "dead" hexagons, thereby creating some half-hexagons.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: Blackadder23After you export the map, you can then crop it manually
    Note that you can also do this as part of the export insted of doing it manually afterwards, simply export it as 'rectangular section png' instead of 'png bitmap file', and CC3(+) will ask you for the rectangle to export instead of doing the entire map.
  • Posted By: Monsen
    Posted By: Blackadder23After you export the map, you can then crop it manually
    Note that you can also do this as part of the export insted of doing it manually afterwards, simply export it as 'rectangular section png' instead of 'png bitmap file', and CC3(+) will ask you for the rectangle to export instead of doing the entire map.
    Thanks for the tip - I didn't realize that. It might save me some trouble sometime!