Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    I had set myself the task of figuring out how to create my own symbol catalog. I need subject matter and I was really excited by Pär Lindström's Wild West map from March 2017 Annual. I seached for some original Old West subject matter and I came across this: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/culturemonster/2011/06/bonanza-television-autry-.html Yep, it is the orignal map from the Bonanza TV Show opening sequence. I was able to see a close-up of the map and I fell in love with the hand-drawn symbols. I recreated them as best I could used them as my subject material for a symbol catalog. Here are the results:
      BonanzaSymbolCatalog.png
    And here is the map:
      The Ponderosa16x.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2018

These are great, Dennis. Any chance of sharing them on this forum? We would need both the FCW and a zip file for the symbols themselves. A great add-on for this style, which I am beginning to use as additions in my Local Area Dunor Valley Maps (which also has symbols which could be used in a Wild West Setting as well - Issue 104, Annual 9 (2015)
    I just responded with a zip file containing the symbols but it seems to have disappeared. Is there a trick to uploading zip files?

Quentin, would be honored to contribute.

Perhaps you can whisper me your email address, and I'll send the files directly to you.

-dennis
    Quenten,

Actually, I have a dropbox. Let's try this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wuw8d8l7aj1timc/Landi_WildWest.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eoytzsrouheebe2/The%20Ponderosa.FCW?dl=0

These links will expire,so hopefully you can grab them quickly.

Thanks.

-dennis
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2018 edited

I caution everyone to be very careful distributing symbols — or any artwork — that might be copyrighted. I don't know the copyright status for the Bonanza! map but it's something you should probably check on before sharing any derivative works.

On a side note, beautiful symbols! Nicely done, sir. And your recreated map looks terrific.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    Probably wouldn't want to commercially distribute the map just to be safe, but the recreated (from scratch) symbols shouldn't be copyrighted since they are based on but not the original artwork. But you guys can be the judge. Use them if think it appropriate.

For me, they served the purpose (which was training).

-dennis
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2018

Thanks Dennis. They are for my use only.
    You are welcome!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2018

Lovely work Dennis :)