How can I get my floors to look like this with Annual 97 - OSR

Annual 97 - OSR continues to fascinate me but I seem to be limited with what I can do. The floors being the biggest problem. I am not happy with the tiles (there are too many so it looks plaid) or rocks or grid.. is there a way to get it to look more like dyson logos floors like this one? Are there other floor options that I am missing? Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Well, the lines in the annual are closer together than Dyson's and they seem to only have two or three lines instead of three to five like Dyson's does here. So in order to get it to look exactly like this then you would probably have to draw your own PNG with the lines on it and place it in the tiles/dungeons/OSR area in your files. Then, after laying your new tile down as the background and placing the rooms and corridors along it, the in between areas would need to be covered in a white polygon that leaves only the lines coming out of the sides of the box, similar to that large area near the upper middle of this map.

You may even be able to find a PNG of that sort somewhere online.

But the tile sets in the annual don't look exactly like Dyson's does, they were only meant to resemble it sort of, not emulate it exactly.
  • Posted By: TonnichiwaWell, the lines in the annual are closer together than Dyson's and they seem to only have two or three lines instead of three to five like Dyson's does here. So in order to get it to look exactly like this then you would probably have to draw your own PNG with the lines on it and place it in the tiles/dungeons/OSR area in your files. Then, after laying your new tile down as the background and placing the rooms and corridors along it, the in between areas would need to be covered in a white polygon that leaves only the lines coming out of the sides of the box, similar to that large area near the upper middle of this map.

You may even be able to find a PNG of that sort somewhere online.

But the tile sets in the annual don't look exactly like Dyson's does, they were only meant to resemble it sort of, not emulate it exactly.
    Hi thanks for answering but I think you misunderstood. I am not asking about the "outlining" of the maps. I am speaking of the tiled corridors, rooms etc. the pseudo grid.
  • For example, see how the floor tiling is done in the main room in this map. I thought Annual 97 had tiling like this but I cannot find it now. Did I image it or am I missing something? Thanks everyone.
  • Oh, yeah, I was mis-understanding. You want to look on the left hand side of your CC3+ user interface and find the all drawing tools button that has a picture of a hammer and a pencil on it and right click it with your mouse. That should bring up all of the drawing tools with those tiles on it.
  • With the Annuals, it's always worth checking the PDF mapping guide that comes with each, as they usually note the majority of symbol and drawing tool options for each one. It's also worth reviewing the sample maps provided with the annuals as well, for similar reasons.

Doing that for CA97, I couldn't find anything like the two floor/grid tiling/texturing options you were hunting for. There have other monochrome dungeon Annuals though, like CA48, which has an offset/non-grid floor texture a little like your second example, and Pär Lindström's Black and White Dungeon style in CA82, which again has a flagstone floor texture that while not a grid, does resemble your second preference illustration.

The Jon Roberts dungeon style in CA51, although full colour, does have a clean, square floor tile texture option in grey, which might work a little like the Dyson Logos grid, while the Dwarven Dungeons flagstone floor style in CA94 is similarly coloured, but could work loosely like that in your second example, and does again give a neatly square grid pattern.

I only checked for dungeon sets in the Annuals though, so it's possible you may find something better elsewhere; there's a lot of material to hunt through in CC3+ even without all the Annuals, and I seem to spend more effort hunting through the possibilities than actually mapping sometimes!