World Map Completed (2)!!

See last post for new map link. :)

The World of Tarumar Map is finished! Because of the size of the jpg, here's a link to view it. LINK

Next is making each continent into its own map file. :)

Comments

• Excellent! Have you considered turning on the sheet effects? I think the map would look even better if you did, especially the water elevations if they are slightly blurred together.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Looking very nice. But as jaerdaph said, it needs some effects, to make the borders between different map features a little softer.
    And that compass rose looks a little bit too much in the middle of the map. You have plenty of wide open corners to put it in.
  • Amdobritt what dimensions did you use to make that map? I think that is the perfect size!
  • Scalebar is 1000 miles, er, one sec while I grab my dividers. 24k east to west and 14.5k north to south. (I printed out a copy of the map for referencing while I write). I just rescaled it til I got the dimensions that I was happy with.

Monsen, I will be working on the effects in the next day or so. :)
  • Thanks, but what did you type in when you made it? Is that a x of 24 by y 14.5?
  • Posted By: FarsightX3Thanks, but what did you type in when you made it? Is that a x of 24 by y 14.5?
    Ok, here's what I did:

The map I was working on, I measured the distance of that and wrote it down. Made sure all layers were showing and unfroze all layers.

Next I did Edit > Reshape > Scale, selected All then typed in 24000/the distance number I had written down, then clicked Do It.
  • I'm gonna chime in and also say some Sheet Effects really make this thing POP!
  • Thanks. The way I do it is, type in scalexy and press a, then d, then type in my dimensions for x and y =D
  • Posted By: amdobritt
    Next is making each continent into its own map file. :)
    I am interested in how you plan to do this. I am working on a regional map for an upcoming game, and I thought (wrongly) that I would be able to simply zoom in on an area of interest and copy-paste into a new map to do the detail work.
  • sdavies2720sdavies2720 Traveler
    edited February 2009
    Posted By: martiniconqueso...and I thought (wrongly) that I would be able to simply zoom in on an area of interest and copy-paste into a new map to do the detail work.
    You can do this. Open the old map, copy what you want to the clipboard, open a new map, and paste it in. Then start adding detail.
  • I tend to do it the other way around; Make a copy of the map, delete around the edges, and update the fractal lines on the coast, etc.
    It's a bit easier than copy+paste because everything is on the same sheet/layer and you dont miss copying things that you may only nitice when it's too late.
  • The Map Makers Chest, a kind of forgotten category on the registration page, contains a very usefull tutorial for all of this.
  • Posted By: MagnakanusI tend to do it the other way around; Make a copy of the map, delete around the edges, and update the fractal lines on the coast, etc.
    It's a bit easier than copy+paste because everything is on the same sheet/layer and you dont miss copying things that you may only nitice when it's too late.
    For separate maps for continents, I just thaw all layers, then delete what I don't want, and put in a new background. :)

Then from continent maps, I can make regional maps. That's a little more work if the area happens be along the coast.
  • Posted By: sdavies2720
    Posted By: martiniconqueso...and I thought (wrongly) that I would be able to simply zoom in on an area of interest and copy-paste into a new map to do the detail work.
    You can do this. Open the old map, copy what you want to the clipboard, open a new map, and paste it in. Then start adding detail.
    I have never had this succeed.

I open my map, zoom in on an area I want to develop in detail, right-click on the "copy" tool, select "copy to clipboard" and being selecting stuff. Once I have everything selected, I right-click and select "Do it."

Then I open a new map and choose paste. I either get nothing, or if there was some text on the windows clipboard, a URl or something, I get that.

If anyone can point out what I am doing wrong, that would be great, and I appreciate the help.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited February 2009
    Sounds like you don't confirm your copying by selecting coordinates.
    If you look at your command line at the bottom, after selecting objects, and "Do It", it will tell you to select the origin of the copy. In most cases, this will either be 0,0, the center of your selection, or the corner of your selection. You can type in coordinates by hand, or just left-click anywhere on the map to use that point. Only then is the copy procedure complete and ready to be pasted.
  • Posted By: MonsenSounds like you don't confirm your copying by selecting coordinates.
    If you look at your command line at the bottom, after selecting objects, and "Do It", it will tell you to select the origin of the copy. In most cases, this will either be 0,0, the center of your selection, or the corner of your selection. You can type in coordinates by hand, or just left-click anywhere on the map to use that point. Only then is the copy procedure complete and ready to be pasted.
    You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Many thanks!
  • All right, a new version of the map, still without effects, but all the text is added and some new islands. Because of the size of the jpg, here's a link to view it. LINK

Hmmm, doing effects is really giving me a headache. If I do effects on the landmasses, I lose the effects done on the sea contours. What am I doing wrong?
  • jaerdaphjaerdaph Traveler
    Hmm. Are the landmasses and the sea contours on the same sheet? (You can check with List). If so, move them to different sheets and apply different effects for sea contours and landmasses to each sheet independently.
  • Posted By: jaerdaphHmm. Are the landmasses and the sea contours on the same sheet? (You can check with List). If so, move them to different sheets and apply different effects for sea contours and landmasses to each sheet independently.
    They are on different sheets and layers.
  • Hi! I would really like to know how ou did the polar ice caps?
  • Posted By: AWizardInDallasHi! I would really like to know how ou did the polar ice caps?
    Used poly with the ice bitmap fill for the top one, then copied that and rescaled it for the south ice cap. :)