Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorkathorus
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2017

WIP - This is what I currently have for the area, i'm wondering if it seems too busy, I have names for all of the settlements but then it really gets a bit too much. I've set up some macros that will toggle those on/off from the map. Open to suggestions for the next few days as I polish it up.
      WIP_NW_Doriant.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

My suggestion would be to name those towns which appear on the main map, but with a smaller font size. But this looks good. What style have you used, I like it.
    • CommentAuthorkathorus

I started with the Realms of Legend annual and took some bitmaps from Ancient the Realms annual. Added more names.
      WIP_NW_Doriant2.jpg
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2017 edited

Nice work blending the two styles! This is a pretty nice map! My only suggestion really would be to remove the roadways or dull them a bit with a transparency? It's a rather large region - Perhaps on a smaller regional map I would include roads, but not this overland distance...that's what is making it too busy for me. Otherwise, I really like it!
    • CommentAuthorkathorus
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2017 edited

Here is the map in all its business. I like the transparency idea, I also added switches for quick toggling of text and such. I like my maps to be usable in RPG's, so I often add a lot of detail that doesn't look bad when zoomed in on part of the map, but often is too much detail at a full zoom. I will setup a non-busy default set of sheets so it looks good for the atlas. I do plan on making regional maps, and also some historical maps as I am planning to use this in an upcoming game. The second map is the area when it was ruled by three elven empires 2500 years ago, today, only one of the elven domains still exists.
      WIP_NW_Doriant3.jpg
      WIP_NW_Doriant_Elven_Empires_c_2500.jpg
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2017

This is a beautiful map and the combination of the two styles is spot on.

You are going to want to remove the map controls. Monsen adds those in a standard format on the website. I know this, because he just had me remove some from a map that I did. :D
    • CommentAuthorBarliman

I really like the idea of mapping the same area at different times: that's something I want to do. What's the style of the second map?
    • CommentAuthorkathorus

Thanks! I can save an "atlas" version without all my bells and whistles.

This has been a real neat experience. I often get bogged down with too much detail as I'm often world-building as I map, and most of my worlds never make it past the initial idea for the whole world. Taking on mapping this area spurred my creativity as I asked what was here before, where did the places come from, what is the current state of affairs, etc.... I'll likely include those notes in my write up of the area as it stands today. This is likely what the 'default view' will be, the other details will be there on hidden sheets.
      Atlas_WIP_NW_Doriant_WIP_NW_Doriant.jpg
    • CommentAuthorkathorus

The second style is Annual 1 - Mercator
    • CommentAuthorBarliman

Posted By: kathorusThe second style is Annual 1 - Mercator

D'oh! Wasn't used to seeing it in a non-global view. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2018 edited

Kathorus have submitted his first map to the atlas, the Northwest Doriant. Great map, and thanks for contributing.
    • CommentAuthorTonnichiwa
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2018

Cool! I like the way this one turned out!
    • CommentAuthorkathorus
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2018

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with it.