Community Atlas - Port Digby

MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
I needed a new city map for my own campaign, so I decided to pick an atlas location at the same time, so I could create a map that would fit both locations, giving the map a duality existence.

So, I present Port Digby in the community atlas and the city of Redge on Kambaria in the World of Virana campaign. The map is made in the Fantasy Cities style from the 2009 annual.

Comments

• What do the numbers refer to? Love the map. And welcome to the Community Atlas, sir; are you new here?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Figured I needed to get at least one map in before the end of the year.

Here's the map key, I kept it to only the most central locations. I added it to the map description instead of displaying it on the map itself. The below key refer to the Port Digby Version, the Redge version is nearly identical, but with a different ruler.

Notable locations in Port Digby:
    1. Royal Palace. From here the Pirate King Digby Bloodlust rules the kingdom.
    2. Caravan reception area. Also serves as a security checkpoint for anyone entering the city.
    3. Market squre
    4. Temple Hill. Here the temples to the five gods can be found.
    5. Docks
    6. Coastal Fort
    7. City Guard Headquarters. Nearby buildings are mainly various civic buildings.
    8. Noble district. Surrounding area is mainly populated by the richer citizens.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited December 2017
    Huh. Looks like you can map, too. ;)

I hope 2018 is the year I finally start actually mapping my own campaign in earnest. Maybe you and I should make some sort of pact, ha ha ha! :))

Nicely done, sir. This is an impressive example of the Fantasy Cities style! I like the layout and, especially, the placement and varying width of the walls. I really like that the caravan reception area is enclosed. I'm not sure why you felt the need to map the city guard headquarters, though. No one's ever going to need that in a game. ;)

The docks look great too. I can see why (in the Atlas at least) they named the city after the port.

This is a great generic city that people can plug into their own adventures. And by doing it for the Atlas, folks can get their hands on the FCW, too. Rock on.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    edited December 2017
    Posted By: DogtagHuh. Looks like you can map,too.
    Seems like it. Who would have thought. And it isn't even for a tutorial.
    I'm not sure why you felt the need to map the city guard headquarters, though. No one's ever going to need that in a game.
    Why? That's usually the first place my players to to inquire if there are any work/missions/bounties to be had when they visit a new city. They keep figuring the watch keep tabs on local trouble.
    I hope 2018 is the year I finally start actually mapping my own campaign in earnest.
    That would be nice. And perhaps a few atlas maps too. Follow my lead, and make maps that can be used for both. As long as you plan just a tiny bit before going ahead, that often work splendidly, especially when you keep in mind that maps can be mirrored or rotated, which gives you some flexibility.
    This is a great generic city that people can plug into their own adventures. And by doing it for the Atlas, folks can get their hands on the FCW, too.
    My intentions exactly. City maps are easier to transport between worlds and just plop into an existing location, much easier than overland maps. And city maps also takes much more effort to make, so having them available is great.
    I really like that the caravan reception area is enclosed.
    Intention here is to create a safe area for caravans and other visitors, while at the same time being able to prevent access to the city by bands of heavily armed individuals. In my version of this city, this area contains shops, warehouses, inns and stables, everything the random visitor needs, with much more strict policies for people being let in to the actual city.
  • Well this couldn't have come at a better time. I was just thinking about having to find a map for one of my larger cities and since Hadrian is getting all smart and stuff, you and this wonderful map have saved the day! Thank you!! Really excellent map!
    edited December 2017
    After Dogtag wrote:I'm not sure why you felt the need to map the city guard headquarters, though. No one's ever going to need that in a game.

Monsen replied, all too seriously:Why? That's usually the first place my players to to inquire if there are any work/missions/bounties to be had when they visit a new city. They keep figuring the watch keep tabs on local trouble.
    Right. Sorry, let me rephrase:
    I'm not sure why you felt the need to map the city guard headquarters, though. No one's ever going to need that in a game.  ;) :))

Although, your reason is a lot better than the ones my jailbird PC's usually use. For the first 15 years or so of my campaign, the only PC who hadn't been arrested (let alone several times) was the half-orc fighter/thief. Go figure. Heck, the cleric was arrested for murder (he was innocent; it was one of those wrong place, wrong time things).  :-<
    edited December 2017
    If I am going to believe the internet, my players are actually remarkably good-behavioured. They usually don't steal (unless it is for a greater good, usually part of a mission), they don't kill or harass random people (even obnoxious ones), and they obey the law for the most part. Often, they even donate money and equipment to NPC's in need, without even being asked to do so by anyone.
    They are still players though, so of course they mess up all my plans at least 100% of the time, but not through robbing or killing the story hooks.
    the only PC who hadn't been arrested was the half-orc fighter/thief. Go figure.
    He was a thief. I guess evading capture is a class feature :)
    Posted By: Monsen... but not through robbing or killing the story hooks.
    =))
    edited December 2017
    Monsen repied:
    the only PC who hadn't been arrested was the half-orc fighter/thief
    He was a thief. I guess evading capture is a class feature :)
    Yes. Also, pretty much the only one with common sense. He actually went to the garrison after one arrest (yes, "one" of many) and, when the guard asked, "Are you with them? He just said, "Nope," and kept walking.
    Posted By: LoreleiWell this couldn't have come at a better time. I was just thinking about having to find a map for one of my larger cities and since Hadrian is getting all smart and stuff, you and this wonderful map have saved the day!
    Great. Means the atlas serves its purpose. Makes me curious as to how many atlas maps have made it into a game. Hoping they all have.
  • Yay! A Monsen Map added to the Atlas!

Thank you for doing a city. This is a nice clean style that can fit into any campaign too.
  • What a beautiful city map! Chapeau!
  • Great looking map Monsen. I really like all of the detail you have added.