Problem with background fill styles when converting to JPG

Hey guys. I've been working on some battle maps for use in Fantasy Grounds recently and I'm having a problem with background fill styles not showing up properly when exported to JPG format. They look fine in FCW format within CC3, but once converted to JPG they lose a lot of their detail and become very flat. I'm attaching the JPG here and will attach the FCW in a reply. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited December 2017
    The problem here is that you haven't set a fixed scale for that fill. This means that the appearance of the fill will depend on your current zoom level and screen size. For practical purposes, a reasonable high res export is basically the same as zooming very close, and it is this effect you see here.

You should go in to the fill style dialog and set a fixed scale of your fill, this will ensure that it appears the same scale (and thus appearance) no matter if you zoom or export.
  • Thanks! That's helpful. I'm pretty sure I found the area you're referring to, but I am having a little bit of trouble determining how to best set these up. i assume I want to clear the scaling check box right? Then I will need to set the scale to a specific width and height? Are there any guidelines for how I should consider scaling that based on my map dimensions? i started plugging in numbers and it looked terrible. I can muscle through with trial and error, but if there's some information that can be shared to help guide me that would be great!

Also, do you recommend using tile to fit, stretch to fit, or whatever that third option was?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The scale in your map is pretty weird (the largest tent has a footprint of about 4000 square foot) which makes this slightly more tricky.

The fill option should be set up with the scaled checkbox checked, the scale values of about 100 (fine tune as desired), with tile to fill.
    But because of the scale of your actual map, you also need to go in display settings (Button with hourglass in left toolbar) and set resolution to fixed bitmap quality - very high. This is because the bitmap isn't designed for these huge scales, causing CC3+ to pick the wrong resolution versiont o display unless you manually override it, which is causing it to look pixelated.
  • Thanks. I'll mess around with the scale. Clearly I don't intend for that tent to be that large. I didn't really have a concept in my head of the scale of the actual map I guess. I was think of the entire map encompassing a much smaller area, but a more zoomed in view.