FT3 to CC3+ problems. Why is this happening?

Hey folks, I recently got CC3+ as a gift, and downloaded the FT3 demo trying to get feet wet with world building. I have here a map I made using FT3 (after 2 days or so of stumbling.).

Now, the issue I am having is I have tried nearly all the export settings from FT3, and nothing gets me even close to something looking like a map I want to work with.

Here are some examples.

If someone could just give me some advice on what to do here, I would be very thankful.

The only video tutorial I found used outdated settings that don't exist. And there is little to no information as to why this is happening to me any place else.

Comments

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    edited December 2017
    The exports in the demo version are capped at a maximum of 128 pixels in any dimension. The full version does not have this limitation.
    I am fond of recommending http://www.fracterra.com/CGTutorial/index.html as a tutorial for FT. Maybe it's just because I like to hear myself talk. It's a little bit out of date, but not too badly, I think. The major difference that I would recommend to do differently from the tutorial above is to use the "RMF with Perlin's Improved Noise" fractal function rather than "Wilbur Ridged Multifractal". I should probably update tutorial some day.
  • 24 days later
  • genesisweapongenesisweapon Newcomer
    edited January 2018
    Posted By: jslaytonThe exports in the demo version are capped at a maximum of 128 pixels in any dimension. The full version does not have this limitation.
    I am fond of recommending http://www.fracterra.com/CGTutorial/index.html as a tutorial for FT. Maybe it's just because I like to hear myself talk. It's a little bit out of date, but not too badly, I think. The major difference that I would recommend to do differently from the tutorial above is to use the "RMF with Perlin's Improved Noise" fractal function rather than "Wilbur Ridged Multifractal". I should probably update tutorial some day.
    The problem that the original poster had is the same one I do -- getting my FT maps to export with a similar look to CC3+. Your tutorial is exporting image files, not CC3+ maps. The image files I export look great. When I open the files in CC3+, not so much.

Any advice?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited January 2018
    FT3 exports to CC3+ is about exporting the actual map, not the visual look from FT3. It will never look the same in CC3+. CC3+ and FT are two very different programs technology wise. FT3 basically generates it's view by knowing the height and climate in each point in the map. CC3+ is a 2D-mapping program that does not know anything about such things as height, CC3+ simply doesn't have the capabilities to display the map in the same way as FT3 (Just as FT3 does not have the capabilities to work with maps the way CC3+ does.) The only way to get it to look the same in CC3+ would be to export it as an image and then include that image in CC3+, but that would result in a map you couldn't edit, which is generally not what you want when transferring it to CC3+.

The CC3+ export FT creates is in a very basic style, but once you have it in CC3+, you can change the visual look into any one of CC3+'s multiple mapping styles (exactly what is available to you depends on the add-ons you own). I usually prefer to do a coastline only export, and then creating a brand new map in CC3+ in the style you prefer, then copy the landmass over via the clipboard from the FT export to the new map, and then finally use change like draw tool on it to bring it's style into line with the map style.