Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2017

This will be me mapping the caldera areas and the abandoned villages in tops of one or more of them.

Starting outside the caldera for Cave 1, and working downward from there. I basiclaly did a copy and paste of the river, and then trimmed to fit, then cut the scale as it looked more like an ocean than a river.
      DesperateCaves_caldera01_0006b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Look forward to this, Jim
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2017 edited

Hi Quenten !

I decided to add some 'local color'. 75% of a 1200 pixel png. Where have I heard the 'it comes in threes' around this forum before this ? Hmm... :-)
      DesperateCaves_caldera01_0011b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Love this, Jim. I think you are enjoying the Bleakness. I know I enjoyed mapping it.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2017

Any one have suggestions ? I'm about to submit this for the Atlas.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Text for this map.

Community Atlas, Forlorn Archipelago, The Bleakness, Caldera

Some of the mountains are active volcanos, some are extinct.

Symbols: Annual 120, Dark Realms

Water: Swamp_CA120

Gray buildings are ruins.

Buildings with reddish roofs are inhabited by the local populace.

The number 1 signifies Community Atlas, Forlorn Archipelago, The Bleakness, Cave 1

The map is 4.7 miles by 3.8 miles.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2017 edited

Part 2 of the Caldera. Map so far, and the part of the caldera symbol I am trying to resemble.

Would edge fade do something to show shadows, etc. ?
      DesperateCaves_caldera02_0007b.png
      calderab.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I'd delete the big 1, unless it serves a purpose (which I can't see). Perhaps put "Cave Entrance" instead.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

i can do that.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2017 edited

I decreased the size and changed itto Cave 1, so a link can be located for Cave 1. Caldera map 2 will be inside the Caldera.

Community Atlas, Forlorn Archipelago, The Bleakness, Caldera around Cave 1

Some of the mountains are active volcanos, some are extinct.

Symbols: Annual 120, Dark Realms

Water: Swamp_CA120

Gray buildings are ruins.

Buildings with reddish roofs are inhabited by the local populace.

The number 1 signifies Community Atlas, Forlorn Archipelago, The Bleakness, Cave 1

The map is 4.7 miles by 3.8 miles.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2017 edited

I have no idea how to get the darker areas to fade... I have tried various things, nothing seems to work. i refreshed after apply to no avail. I have attached the fcw file and the png I am trying to sort of emulate.

Heeellllpppp !

Thank you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2017

You're referring to the dark polygons on your crater sheet, right? What kind of fading are you looking for? You can fade the entire thing by using effects such as transparency, or fade the edges using edge fade, inner (try using an edge width of at least 20)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Yes. The dark areas so I can get a more jagged look rather than a stencil sharp edge look. Not sure if I used 20 or not. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

JimP's map of the caldera environs is now posted to the atlas. Enjoy.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I may just zoom in further... I had to make the town and tower symbols at size 5 instead of 1.0 so they would show up.
      DesperateCaves_caldera02_0011b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Sounds like your map scale is a bit off then.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Well, the caldera is around 5 miles across. Since I'm having such a hard time getting this part of the map to work, I'm thinking about just making a closeup of the village. With one ruin having a way to reach the caves below.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2017

I'm going to skip the caldera area map, someone else feel free to make one.

Here is the Caldera Village.

A referee could put labels/text info on anything, but tower 13. Under the stairs of the tower is a stone door covering the entrance to the tunnel leading down to cave 1.

Of course, some players might have their characters wander around and never find it... so a skeleton partially under the steps could be a clue to dig there.
      DesperateCaves_caldera02_005b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Looks like an Australian outback town - hot, dusty and ramshackle
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Or a west Texas town, same 'weather'.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2017

The Bleakness, The Churning Mountains, The Desperate Caves, Caldera above cave 1.

A referee should print themselves a map with clouds_two sheet hidden, so they can see more details.

Symbols are from City Designer 3. Bitmap A, Bitmap B.

Symbol Building 03 50x40BTL came from CSUAC2 CD3 Bitmap Medieval BTL General.

I didn't write down where the two ruins came from. The symbol names are: CD3C Ruins Bldg a 1 90x50; the Tower is: CD3C Castle part a 2 60x31.

Clouds are from the Alysa Faden Annual.

1) Could have been a town hall at one time. One room had produce.

2 through 4) ruins and homes

5) A large building, could have been an Inn at one time.

6 through 12 ) ruins and homes, a few were former crafting places. Shoes, metal work.

13) A small abandoned keep. A skeleton is partially buried under the stairs leading up into the tower. The stairs cover an opening in the ground that is a tunnel leading down into Cave 1.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2017

Submitted. I don't think I can do anything more with this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2017

Jim's Caldera Village is now available in the atlas for everyone to enjoy. For all of you who haven't contributed yet, I encourage you to make this a new year resolution to yourself. It is an excellent way to try out that annual style you've always wanted to try and contribute to the community at the same time.

Jim:
    I noticed that building 13 on the village map is listed as leading to the cave 1 dungeon. Should I link the building directly to the dungeon, or do you plan to add an intermediate map, like a basement or similar.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2017

Please go ahead and link directly. My idea is the tunnel hidden by the stairs is visible once the stairs are removed. I can do a different village and a basement for one of the other calderas.