Account related problems plus Can't Uninstall Update 13

Good morning to everyone.

After a crash related to a bad Windows10 update, I formatted my computer "from the ground", wiping my disk. In this new installation, Implemented something I was looking for some time: to create a Admin Account and a user account without privileges admin privileges, to increase system security, so I did it.

After installing all my software under the admin account, Including CC3+, DD3, CD3 and SS4, I moved to my regular user account and was very happy - until this morning, when I opened CC3+.

First, I noticed the interface was a mess - the map drawing window was black, and the symbol catalog selection was on the right side of the window instead of the regular left side. Plus, all symbols were displayed in a radioactive green color.

Looking at this, I checked CC3+ on my admin account, and everything was fine, so I thought it could be something related to user accounts, and decided to uninstall CC3+ end re-install it directly from my user account, granting admin privileges during the install process, and see what happens.

Thing is, I cannot uninstall Update 13, because the install/uninstall package keeps asking my to point it to the "original setup sources", to continue the process. I had literally tried to point it to every CC3+ related folder (folder where the install files are, folder in C:\Program Files (x86) - and subfolders, folder containing the bulk of the program - and subfolders) and no luck.

To make things worse, after running the uninstaller, CC3+ completely stopped to work - it runs on Task Manager, but do not open a window.

I am running a fresh install of Windows 10 x64 (ver. 1709, Build 16299.125).

Any insight on this would be greatly welcomed...

Thank you! :)

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited December 2017
    The update isn't designed to be uninstalled. Because it replaces important files in the CC3+ directory, uninstalling it would leave CC3+ in an unusable state, so it cannot be uninstalled alone. (There is also a small technical quirk at play here. Because people need to be able to do a complete install of the update multiple times (for example after installing a new add-on they have bought), the installer must do a complete install each time it is run, a "repair" install doesn't cut it, so it is basically a choice between having an installer that does a complete install every time (very important, best for most people) or one that provides normal install/uninstall/repair options (sometimes helpful, but not strictly needed)).

As for why the regular CC3+ uninstall hangs, I don't know. In preparation for a reinstall, you can easily just manually delete c:\Program files (x86)\ProFantasy\CC3Plus and c:\programdata\ProFantasy\CC3Plus.

As for installing CC3+ under another user, that works fine, except for the symbol catalog, that needs a registry setting copied over, but that's all. The black window is simply because it didn't have a map to load (The welcome screen that shows is just a map registered as the most recent file used during install, but that is registered specifically to the user installing since it is a per-user setting.)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I don't understand half of this, but I'd just like to say something nice and reassuring.

My HP laptop is officially 'incompatible' with the Fall Creators Update, which is basically a new version of Windows 10. I didn't know this until it was already too late. The download happened without me even being aware of it, and the installation was automatic.

A lot of things went most horribly wrong, and although I haven't resorted to starting all over again, I have made several adjustments and cleaned up my system to free up space. Win 10 + Creator's update idles at 1.5 to 1.6 GB RAM, which on my 4GB RAM PC is just way too much for anything RAM-hungry to run at all well.

Through all of this CC3+ has continued to work perfectly fine. Its been the more memory hungry apps I use, like GIMP and Krita that were either paralysed or crashing all over the place.

In short - I believe that when you have finished reinstalling everything CC3+ will run just like it did before the Fall Creators Update :)
  • Using the Contral Panel to uninstall something is the only way I have found to work.

Oh, I got bit by that Creator's update to. I had to roll back the patch to Windows 10 and reinstall everything. Painful.
  • Posted By: MonsenThe update isn't designed to be uninstalled. Because it replaces important files in the CC3+ directory, uninstalling it would leave CC3+ in an unusable state, so it cannot be uninstalled alone.
    Well, this does not make any sense form me, because it simple cripples my ability to manage my own system - some people would classify something like that, plain and simply, as bloatware.
    Further, if I choose to uninstall CC3+ using its won installer, I end with no CC3+ on my system, but the update is still there, installed. It is displayed on Control Panel and trying to remove it results on the same window I shared on the original post.

Worse, now when trying to install CC3+ again, it gives an error message and abort the installation process. As far as I can see, I will need to revert back to a previous restore point and re-install not only ProFantasy software, but also a bunch of programs I had installed since that point.
    CC3+ is really a wonderful piece of software, but this approach to not allow update uninstall because "the software will become unstable" is crap, and bad, bad, bad UXD.
    Posted By: JimPUsing the Contral Panel to uninstall something is the only way I have found to work.

Oh, I got bit by that Creator's update to. I had to roll back the patch to Windows 10 and reinstall everything. Painful.
    Sadly, not even through Control Panel: the result is the same. Because of it, I uninstalled CC3+ using its own entry on CP, but even that way the Update 13 remained. and cannot be removed by any normal means.

And, about Win10 updates, they are freaking me out. It is the second time this year an MS update blows my OS. The same occurred to my wife's computer once too.

And what is really annoying about it is the lack of alternatives: Linux does not run half the software packages I use (not to tell AAA games), Mac is ungodly expensive (and lack support to a lot of software’s and games too), and Windows is going from bad to worse...

Anyway, this is the subject to another forum... lol
  • I've had no problems with Windows 10 from day one. I thought it was the fasted and most error free OS that I've used to date. I was in love. Truly, truly in love.

Then I installed the Fall Creator's Update...Oh horrors! I now have a touchscreen executable that hates shutting down and half a screen of desktop icons that won't stay where I put them. I've tried repairing corrupt OS files but it hasn't helped. Sigh.

I was ready to do a format and reinstall like you have Shavarath, but discovered that my external backup drive bit the dust. Husband is buying me a new one for Christmas so until then I'm stuck with an OS that won't behave. My love affair has ended. :/

---------------------

As for your problem, I would contact ProFantasy support at this point.

I could recommend editing the registry to fix this, but hate doing that without knowing how comfortable you are with that option.
  • pool7pool7 Traveler
    If you want to try editing the registry, make sure to make a backup first, and keep that in a flash drive, at least until you know it's all working good.

You can remove the item from Programs and Features via the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\CC3+
    just remove this CC3+ folder
    If you had other ProFantasy products, they will be listed in their own folders in that Uninstall key.

Along with removing the folders/files Monsen mentioned, this should leave you with a mostly clean system (at least clean enough for a reinstall of ProFantasy software).