Map dimensions

I'm pretty new to cartographer and I've been testing my maps on a big screen tv that is converted into a table. I've finally figured out the item sizes and such but I totally forgot to write down the original dimensions I used for my map. I've tried so many different ones, I've forgotten which one the working map was. Is there an easy way to see the starting dimensions of the map? I'm talking about the dimensions used in the new drawing wizard. I looked at the jpg file but I don't think that is accurate. i'm trying to find it in the fcw file.

Thank you for the help.

Yrislov

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You can use the Distance tool from the info menu to measure the distances to give you the numbers. Just measure left to right first, and top to bottom second. You can use modifiers to get 100% precise measurements, but since your map is probably using a nice round number, doing a quick approximate measurement and then just round the number is probably good enough.

As for the image, you are right that that is not accurate. Images are exported using the resolution set in the export setting, and the size of the resulting image doesn't have anything at all to do with the actual map dimensions.
  • ok thank you. I'll try that. I was hoping for a quick, here is a look at what your starting configs were. Maybe that will be a future release. Thanks again for the help.

Yrislov
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    CC3(+) is a bit special in how dimension of maps are handled. The canvas itself is (practically) unlimited in size, the dimension you chose when you start the map are basically just where CC3(+) buts your map borders on this unlimited canvas. Since you can later move these map borders exactly as you wish, the starting configuration doesn't really mean anything, which is why measuring the current size is the way to go.