"Trim to entity" - what am I doing wrong?

In creating a simple beginning map, I decided my river needed to be a bit more - meandering. I inserted some nodes & moved existing ones around until I got a more natural look. Now I would like the symbol-filled forest & heath alongside to conform to the new shape. I have tried to achieve this with the "trim to entity" command but to no avail.

I can select the river as the entity to trim to, but when I try to select the terrain I want to trim, the cursor reverts to an arrow (no box) and the words Command: [TRIMTO] appear in the command bar - but nothing happens. I tried exploding the entity I want to trim, but does not seem to make any difference (other than to cause the fill bitmap to vanish.)

Where am I going wrong?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The trim commands only works on lines, not polygons. If you need a polygon to follow the river exactly, it might be better to use the TRACE command while drawing it and trace the river. You can also use edit on an existing entity to remove a piece of it, and then trace the river from the other side.

Otherwise you'll need to use BREAK or SPLIT on your polygon, which will turn it into a line (Making the fill disappear for now), trim it, draw a replacement line along the river (To follow the river exactly, just make a copy of the river, and trim as needed), then merge them into a multipoly.
  • 11 years later
  • I got a similar problem.

I'm trying to create a star system's map, somebody else has thought up for some RPG sessions.

I have been able to trim sum of the orbits to their respective strips.
    But I seem to be unable to trim orbits which originate in the middle strip and extend to both of the other strips.
    When I try to select these orbits, the cursor reverts to [TRIMTO] as described above.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    CC3+ can't trim a closed entity to another one.

Try to use BREAK on those orbits and break a gap into the left and right side, so that the break points are in the white stripes dividing the strips.
  • Posted By: RalfCC3+ can't trim a closed entity to another one.

Try to use BREAK on those orbits and break a gap into the left and right side, so that the break points are in the white stripes dividing the strips.
    OR just draw a rectangle in the colour that you need in a sheet above. Thats how I made fine adjustments to roads and walls.