Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2017 edited

Today, on the 7th of December 2017, ScottA submitted map number 100 to the community atlas.

The region of Qaras on Doriant.
    He also submitted the Temple of the Spider Queen.

Thanks for two great maps Scott, and congratulations on being the submitter of the 100th map in the atlas.

Congratulation to everyone else who have contributed to this project, it is thanks to all of you that we now have reached the milestone of 100 maps. I hope you all will continue to contribute more maps in the future, and I hope many more community members will decide to join this great project. Remember, this is a mapping project for everyone, not just artists.

Below is a collage of all the maps in the atlas so far. (Click for larger size)

maps.jpg
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2017

Woo hoo!!! That's incredible! 100 maps :) So glad to be a part of this community and get a chance to be a part this collaborative project! I couldn't be more proud of us all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Whoopee! Hurrah! Well done, mates!
    And hopefully, I will have another 2 in by Xmas - The Three Wizards and Port Digby, and perhaps Dungroth and the Dockside district of Stromphe. We have done fantastically well. And JimP has some interesting dungeons in the making.
    Awesome!
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Yay us!!! Seeing the collage of all of the maps is awesome.

I really hope we can get more people contributing. (Pokes Dogtag and LadieStorm) I would love to see contributions from some of our newer mappers too. We need more maps!!!

This is what I call a fun time. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2017 edited

Pokes Jenson and Joshua Plunkett! No pressure of course (that was for Monsen's benefit!)
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Wow! 100? That's great. It takes a village to build a world... or something like that. Glad to have been able to play some little part in all that.
    Congrats to all of you!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2017

Absolutely stunning work, people. Congratulations, this is amazing!
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Hurrah ! Maps !
    • CommentAuthorJensen

Great and a fantastic effort. Still have not finished my first, I will hurry up!
    Okay, okay!!! I will see what I can do! How do I go about picking an area, building, whatever?
    • CommentAuthorrobotrock

This is beautiful to see all together!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Ladiestorm, first decide what you want to do - a region, an island or valley, a dungeon, ruins, a town, a building, a ruined spaceship, an unexploded atom bomb labelled North Korea, etc. Then we can give you pointers on what's available - say you want to do a dungeon or cavern, we can point you to so many sites already marked on the map, or a village/town/megalopolis, the same, and there are now 4 cities in the Atlas which need buildings (Dunor City by Hadrain, Alwayir by Hadrian, Stromphe by me and Monsein city by me). But first you have to decide what sort of map you want to do. And I so look forward to seeing a LadieStorm map in the Atlas.
    Wow... flattery will get you everywhere! lol... Okay, I will come up with a map or two (or many...lol) but I can't really start anything until after Christmas. I have too many Christmas gifts I'm making that needs finishing, and the only maps I will be working on at this point, is the color wash technique I'm experimenting with, and the commission I still have to finish over at the guild.

But if I can wait until after Christmas to get started on atlas maps, I will do my best to add to the world.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2017

That nifty collage is almost as impressive as the 100 maps created in — literally — 10 months.  =D>
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2017

There are some truly beautiful maps in there. I haven't been through all of the Atlas and haven't seen most of them, so the collage is nice.
    • CommentAuthorBarliman
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2017

Really impressive work. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2017

So, we just passed 100GB of data downloaded from the atlas site. This includes atlas downloads, image views, high res images, fcw files, descriptions and so on. You can also look at the detailed stats.

You may also have noticed that I have added zoomable versions to several maps on the atlas site. These are in a resolution much higher than the hi-res downloads, but they are only available as zoomable images online (I don't want to deal with downloads of multi-gigabyte images). Note that it take quite a lot of time to make these, so they will be sporadically added when my computer have free time to process them, usually a single image can be done in a night. The exact resolution varies depending on what I can manage to export, and not all maps are very suitable for this, because they need to be exported in sections (using the scripts I wrote for the high res exports annual), and not all effects work well when doing this. So, new zoomable maps will show up every now and then. I'll be working through other maps. Please don't request spesific maps for this, I will handle what I can, based on time and suitability of the maps.
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Zoomable maps!!!

Have we thanked you for all of your efforts lately Remy? If not...Thank you!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

The ones I have seen are just so super. Wow, what a fantastic job. Do you sleep?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2017 edited

You're welcome. And thanks.

Posted By: QuentenDo you sleep?
    Yes. Rendering those maps is what my computer does while I sleep.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2017

To Sleep, Perchance to Dream. ( Shakeyspear)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2017 edited

Quenten asked:Do you sleep?

To which Monsen replied:Yes. Rendering those maps is what my computer does while I sleep.
    Wow, I would have thought it'd take more than 15 minutes to render those maps. That must be some setup you have there.  ;)  I-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2017 edited

All the continents now have zoomable images published. Of course, zoomable images aren't that special, considering you can zoom to the same level and more on the .fcw files in the atlas. I do love to hit the full screen button on the toolbar below the zoomable image and zoom around in full screen though, that looks quite nice.
    Do remember to spread the word of the atlas also to your non-CC3 friends, maybe we can convert some people. The atlas have reached a level of maps where it really can serve as a showcase.

Posted By: DogtagWow, I would have thought it'd take more than15 minutesto render those maps. That must be some setup you have there.
    Well, you seem to have all the variables, so I'll leave it to you to calculate my system speed ;-)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2017

I updated the posts in Dragonsfoot forums that we had reached 100 maps about a day after it happened.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2017

Great.