Comments

• JimP, the Bleakness Island has already been done and is in the Atlas.
  • Did someone else do it ? I know I did an area map including all of the archipelago. Mostly I'm just showing placement of areas I'm putting ruins and dungeons.
  • Yes, I did, Jim, and placed plenty of dungeons and ruined towns in it, plus several evil wizard towers, a village to serve as a base, and murky lakes and rivers. Look in the Atlas downloads.
  • Here is a small version of the map. Map notes are also available.
  • But plenty of sites here - I had you in mind. There are oodles of ruined buildings (keeps, towers etc) to serve as dungeon entrances, many caves, and a base village. This was made with your dungeon mapping love in mind - infact i posted with you about this very thing, so GO FORTH, YOUNG MAN AND CONQUER.
  • I'm old and forgetful. I'll work on some localized areas and put dungeons under them.
  • Look forward to seeing it - I love your dungeons, sir.
  • Here is a rectangular png of where I am going to start. I noticed the volcano symbol you used has a crater. So, I'll do this one as an extinct volcano, with caves going down into the mountain and see if I can make a staricase, iso, going up to the crater. Maybe put some sort of village in there... I don't know yet.
  • Great idea. Get to work (he said sternly to the young man before him) ;)
  • I'm going to call them The Desperate Caves.

Where did you get some of these fonts ?

IM FELL English and Informal Roman ? If you didn't use them in the map, then no need for me to download.
  • Yes, I used both, but both are in the ProFantasy list of fonts.
  • Posted By: QuentenYes, I used both, but both are in the ProFantasy list of fonts.
    Okay. I'm rather tired this evening and didn't look. Hopefully i can get a map or two done before Monday. I have some ideas.

A cave that goes back a hundred feet or so, nothing unusual. But stone doors in the floor or walls that lead down to dungeons.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited December 2017
    Rectangular png showing the caves I'll be mapping and a start on cave 1.

I'll post and submit all of one cave at a time, so I don't get confused as to what belongs to which one.

Cave 1 doesn't seem like much. A small chest, few coins in it, a few giant centipedes or a bear or two. Not much difficulty. Some adventurers would just leave.

But that is a distraction... the secret door goes down into the larger part of the cave.

Updating the iso cave map to a better one, and I'll b back later tonight or tomorrow with a more complete map.
  • great start! looking forward to see this going on.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited December 2017
    Cool! Your caves are fun.

If I can make a suggestion? The first part of the cave has a flagstone floor but I think it might look better (more intriguing?) map-wise, if the first part was all natural and the part after the secret door was worked stone or a mix of the two.

Just a thought.

I'm looking forward to watching these grow.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • My dear Dogtag... these are caves where desperate holdouts made their last stand ( making this up as I go), and if it didn't look like a thinking being made them, instead of a natural cave, looters and adventurers might get too much curiousity.

Of course, my players would just glare at me, declare somethig about 'So, you think you have hidden it where we can't find it eh !' and proceed to 'thorough search' the entire thing, lifting cave floor bits that weren't movable until they came along, digging their own tunnels, etc. all in search of treasure they just knew was there... I got them one time though, a huge chest magicked to look like it was full of gold pieces. They got 5 miles fomr that dungeon, the magic went away, and they found themselves with a large amount of lead and Fool's Gold. Instead of thousands of gold per character, they wound up with less than a gold piece worth for each character.

Okay, I'll put cave floor bits in there.
  • Yay!!!! Another great dungeon from Jim!
    edited December 2017
    It snowed this morning... so I will be at home today instead of shopping. The quarter of an inch got up into the 2 to 3 inch range.

This is the lower part of my ham radio 5btv 1/4 wave vertical antenna. And I do believe that all 4 trucks the county has are out spreading sand to make the roads less slippery... Yes, just 4. Two years ago they didn't have any.
    edited December 2017
    Large over view and a closeup of the left hand area. Yes, there is a gap in the stairway. I need to add a landing area...
  • Some power flickers in my area. I have my uninterruptible power supply hooked up but it will only last long enough for me to save and shut down. Out getting lunch and a few things before black ice forms.

I'm fine so far.
    edited December 2017
    Well, our predicted half inch of snow has gone up to 4 to 5 inches. And the state park I camp at for the Cheaha Challenge, bicycle race in the summer, has 9 inches of snow. i am home and doing okay.

Next update. I am thinking about putting a sand/dry bitmap fill in for a lower level.

Almost forgot. The room with different floor types, looks like it could be part of a chess or checkerboard ? it is. Nasty shock in damage to any character not moving like a chess character trying to cross it. A list of what each character becomes as they exit the door into the room, would be a nice trap.

Replacing the map with a newer version.

Room 10 is a trap. The chest, and the floor it is sitting on, is an illusion. If a character approaches the suit or amror, a Magic Mouth, in ad&d a way to record a voice, speaks up and says 'Beware the treasure !'.

A character that tries to walk on the 10'x10' area where the chest is, will fall 30 feet to the mold pit below.

Between room 12 and room 16 is another secret dor, this leads down into a more planned out area. ( in the planning stages.)

The treasure below room 6 is real, and there is a drop from that room to the stairs just outside room 9.

Room 11 leads to a broken rope and wood path, the drop is 40 feet into the water. A character could swim for the pilings of the other rope and wood path... but there may be something hungry in that water. Chomp ! Chomp !

I'm going to take a break.
  • Well done, Mr Snowman. Enjoy the days snuggled up to a warm fire. Middle os summer here, but very blustery today - can't see the montains outside across the bay!
  • What I need is a perspectives or isometric wharf/pier...

Anyway, here is an update. 75 percent of a 1200 pixel map.
  • Off to Monsen soon if no suggestions.

The Bleakness, The Churning Mountains, The Desperate Caves

Some of the mountains are volcanos, some are extinct.

Symbols from Annual Issue 66 and Perspectives add-on.

Caves: are enclosed unless noted in the description. Cave height is 15 feet.

Rooms: enclosed unless noted in the description. Rooms are 10 to 15 feet high.

Water: Water_blue_light_P3B, perspective bitmap fill.

Green mold area: Grass_green_light_P3B, Perspectives bitmap fill.

Clouds/fog under rooms 14 and 25. from the Alysa Faden Annual.

1) Cave that conects to the outside. A short narrow corridor connects to room 2.

2) various rocks and stalagmites, those rock formations on the floor. ( Stalagtites hang titely to the ceiling.)

A small chest, not much money. The impression is a quick hiding of treasure, and then they left.

3) A small alcove off to one side of room 2. Centipedes or small spiders would be a good choice here. Nothing to arouse suspicions that there is more to this cave area than is seen from a quick look.

The secret door is opened by a hidden catch lever just behind some of the stone wall.

The stone steps conect to room 4.

4) a small rectangular room, dust, nothing else to find. The stairs connect to room 6.

5) a room offf of room 4. The cave wall cut out door leads to stairs down to room 7 and a stone door.

6) a trap. The floor area, and the wooden crate are illusions. Any character who makes it past the two floor holes, will fall into room 17. There is no way back up, but they will be rich fomr the treasure in room 17.

7) a square room with several exits. Small bird sounds can be heard in this room.

The archway down to the landing, all of that is open... and a careless character can fall into the water on their way to room 11.

The stone door down to area 16 is also open and a fall can happen into the water.

8) This room appears to be open on two sides, but its has some sort of invisible wall that prevents all exit except via the stone door or back the way the characters came.

9) A square oom with bones and two drains. The cages are empty. It has some sort of invisible wall that prevents all exit except via the 3 stone doors. The stairs that appear to lead to room 17 only go up a short distance.

10) a square room. The barrel has fresh drinking water in it. If the metal armor is approached it wil ldeclare 'Beware the treasure !'. Another illusion is the treasure and thge floor piece is looks to be on. A long drop onto the area 34. Regular mold on stone, or a mold that devours.

11) A small narrow room that leads no where. The characters can jump into the water and swim, there might be something hungry in the water, or go back the way they came.

12) A secret door in location 16 leads down to this room. A character that carelessly approaches the barrels can fall out of the room into the water. The barel next to the wall is safer to approach. The rocks came from the ceiling.

13) An L-shaped room. One exit, with no wall, leads down to oom 15, the other, watch your step !, leads down to room 14.
    The ramp going upwards leads to the crater and a small village.

14) Some work has been done, some is original cave. No tools left behind. A stalagtite grows slowly in the room. The two stone coffins could have something in them.

15) a chess board room. Characters entering the room have to move like chess pieces, or recieve a small electrical shock. Two walls are open and characters can fall into the water. Characters can see the ramp between rooms 12 and 16. But cannot see into room 12.

16) A very small room. A secret door in the one wall leads to room 12. Pushing down, the secret door falls through and goes into the water, leaving a small gap in the walkway. Pushng up, it compresses at it moves into the ceiling.

17) Bones and othr skeletal remains of those who fell, ahem, for the trap in room 6. Their wealth and weapons are stacked in and near the treasure chest.

18) A sliding ramp and a wood plank and rope bridge from room into room 18. The three low walls are stumbling blocks. Literally.

19) A small bedroom. A bed, a water closet, and a bath tub. No storage for gear, etc. There might be something under the bed.

20) The walls don't go to the ceiling. Various wood remnants appear to have once been storage barrels.

21) A sudden rush past the stone door will result in the character falling on to the stone floor below.

22) An oddly shaped room. The barrels have arrows sticking in them, apparently a last ditch stand barrier. The floor areas without walls are open to area 32. It is a 10 foot drop.

22b) A smal lalcove, maybe the chest has treasure in it.

23) A small rectangular room with a chest partially hiden behind the stone wall, no exit but to go back up to room 22. The characters may have to destroy the wooden stairs to get the chest out... the chest is bolted to the stone floor.

24) Trying to exit past the pillars is blocked by an invisible wall. The exit is via the opening by the room number.

25) A smalll oom, watch out for the opening for the stairs going down to room 30. There are no guard rails to prevent a fall. A sideboard has some plates of fresh food. The small chest might have monies in it.

26) The floor where this who drop form room 21 fall to. Only one wall piece remains. The other areas are open to the floor which is area 32 or the water area 33.

27) A puzzle room. The archways detect as magic, and taping on them will cause them o glow in a color or sound a small chime. The pillars that aren't connected glow a pale blue. The standing wall has some small niches, behind loose bricks, that may or may not contain anythnig.

28) A store room. Three barrels with fresh food and water.

29) A small room with two open walls. Watch your step !

30) A small room with two statues. They might speak if spoken to. But their replies are nonsensical.

31) A small room, with a narrow exit onto area 32.

32) How much of the floor area that can be walked on is up to the map user.

33) An expanse of water from 2 feet to 50 feet deep.

34) an expanse of mold, thick or thin, a monster or nothing to worry about is up to you.
  • Cave 2 start. Water hazards in this one.
  • a bit of progress. Evil temple in room 5. Location 2 is a crossroads. I couldn't figure how to get a column of water, so I just draw a line and added the text.