Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2017 edited

So I've just picked up a big project that is Asian themed, and my one quandary is how to create those curving, pointed roofs used on pagodas and shrines? I am at a loss. Any suggestions? Anyone have any experience with something like that? (Stock photo included purely as an example). I would appreciate any suggestions or tips and tricks anyone might have to accomplish what I need to do. (It will be seen from above, of course, so the curve wouldn't have to be as pronounced/obvious as the side view, but I still want to be able to indicate it somehow).
      pagoda.jpg
    Jochaim has a tutorial on how to make curved bevels using the blend overlay effect. it's linked on the Mayana Island show and tell thread. Perhaps something in that tutorial can give you your direction :D
    For some ideas jump on Google Earth Pro (it's free) and look up famous shrines/temples with pagodas. These give some interesting overhead views. Try Kofukuji, or even just type in "pagoda" and see what pops up. The entire city around Tahoto Pagoda is pretty interesting.
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTime20 hours ago

Finding overhead views isn't an issue. I just used the picture above as it shows off the curve better than an overhead view.

I haven't tried the blend overlay effect yet. It might do what I'm looking for.

I have to find better dragon statues for roof decorations, too. I've gotten this far, and its okay, but I'm not overly happy with it. This little pagoda is just a portion of a larger map, but I still want to get it right.
      pagoda.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime20 hours ago edited

Scott, here are some pagoda diagrams I have. They may (or may not) be useful
      Pagoda 1.png
      pagoda.png
      Pagoda X-section.jpg
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTime19 hours ago

I have that middle one, but that bottom one is great! Thanks, Quenten!