Can't print to architectural page sizes with sheet effects enabled.

I am unable to print to architectural page sizes with sheet effects on, CC3 crashes or prints the output in the upper quarter of the page only. This happens regardless of the, file I am attempting to print, the file format I attempt to print to (PDF, PNG, XPS), or if I attempt to directly print to my Designjet printer. If sheet effects are off everything prints with no issue.

The largest page size I can use with effects enabled is U.S legal size.

CC3+ Version 3.79

System Summary
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD FX-4300
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 722MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A97 LE R2.0 (Socket 942)
Graphics
42 TV (1920x1080@60Hz)
DELL 1707FP (1280x1024@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 (MSI)

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I am guessing the print process runs into memory issues. Printing a large page require quite a large image to be rendered.

I suggest you try to export it from CC3+ as an image instead, and then print from your favorite image editor. Newer versions of CC3+ should be able to export in quite high resolutions, at least 10-15k.
  • CC3/CC3Plus is a 32-bit program, it uses 2 gigs of ram and not the video card.

There are several discussions of this, and I don't remember exactly what else you can do to use more memory.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    As Monsen points out, the most likely problem is that the printing process is trying to prepare a whole image at one time, just like it does for the display. For a 48" wide by 60" high piece of paper at 300 dpi, it will try to prepare an image that's 14400x18000 image, which will require on the order of 7GB of RAM for working space. As JimP pointed out, CC3+ is a 32-bit program and is limited to a bit under 4GB of working space on a 64-bit version of Windows (just 2 GB if you're running a 32-bit version of Windows, but that it unlikely as you have 16GB of memory).

As Monsen suggests, exporting to an image file can allow you to save a larger image to disk than it is possible to directly print. This difference in behavior is possible because the export process generates the image as a sequence of smaller images that get stitched together to produce the final image. There was also an annual issue this year for producing larger-format images than the export process allows.

What is the device type (you mention a DesignJet, but that family of products has a large range of sizes)? What size are you trying to print to? What resolution (dpi)?