Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    I am looking at using CC3+ for a school project for my Foundations A course. I want to use mixed media for my final project. I want to make my own bitmaps and symbols using acrylic paints and then either scan them or take photos of them to get them on the computer. For them to be good enough, what setting should I set the scan on? Thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2017

Make sure to scan them in a high enough resolution.

If they are floorplan symbols, that is 100 pixels per drawing unit. So, determine how large the thing the symbol represents is.

For example, say you make a drawing of a human corpse. A human is roughly 6 feet tall, so that would be 6 drawing units (dungeon scale) = 600 pixels. Assuming this drawing is 4 inches on paper, that is 150 pixels per inch (dpi) for the scanner at the very minimum. Of course, whatever you make probably have very different values than in my example, so use that as a guide for your own calculations.
    For other symbol types, CD3 stuff is 40 pixels/drawing unit (feet), and overland is 20 pixels/drawing unit (miles)

You'll probably need to mess with the scanner color settings too, but that is not my area of expertise.
    • CommentAuthorjslayton
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2017

The simplest version of the answer is "sufficient quality to get the look that you intend." You will need to get the data acquired and processed, which is the easy part (light the canvas from a low angle to show your brush strokes as shadowed areas, take a picture, crop the individual images, and then remove the background canvas to extract your symbols). The hard part is deciding what you want your final result to look like. To maximize your detail, you want to have a pixel in the data that you acquire to be about equal to a pixel in your final image. If your symbols will be one inch high on your canvas and you want them to be one inch high on your final image, you need to look at the output resolution of the device. If you're aiming for a 300dpi printer, you want to take pictures that have at least 300 pixels per inch on your input (a 2x2 picture on your canvas would need at least a 600x600 image to capture detail to a similar level).

However (there's always a however), an important thing to remember is that CC3+ is a vector program with bitmap fills. It will scale your images as needed. The image filtering in CC3+ isn't the best, though, which is why you should try to use symbols as close to a 1:1 scale as you can reasonably do (plus or minus a factor of two usually isn't noticeable). If you have access to a good image editing tool like Photoshop or The GIMP, you can get better image quality in your symbols by taking your pictures at two times your desired final resolution, cleaning them up, and then scaling them down before importing into CC3. As you scale your images down on the input side, the details will get more and more spidery on the output side, so that's something to watch out for in your final composition. You can see this sort of effect with CC3's own symbols: start a Mike Schley inks map and place some symbols at various scales. As you scale up, the system will use its higher-resolution versions of the symbol until it starts replicating pixels once you get past "VH" in the stack (then things start getting chunky). As you scale down, the system will use the filtered versions of the symbols that it created when you created the symbol, but those get blurrier down VL, and then the system just starts throwing out pixels, which can make fine details disappear entirely.

Note that you can (and perhaps should) paint your elements larger than you intend to use them and then filter the size down as I described above. If you're trying to capture incidental elements like texture of the paint, then you'll need to do something other than a scan with a flatbed scanner because the flatbed scanner has a light that's almost coincident with the sensor, which will likely reduce the surface texture to the point of invisibility. A camera on a tripod with good low-angle lighting fixed to one side (a clamp-on light works well) will let you repeatably capture data from multiple canvases.
    Awesome, thanks so much for the advice. This project will be an CC3+ Overland style. :-)
    Any advice for making the bitmaps?
    Concept Drawings - City

Inspiration drawn from two maps of India from the 1500's.
      City1000_750.png
    Concept Drawings - Ruined City

RuinedCity1000_750.png
    Concept Drawings - Town

Town1000_750.png
    Concept Drawings - Ruined Town

RuinedTown1000_750.png
    Concept Drawings - Village and Ruined Village

Villages_Active_and_Burned1000_750.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2017

Please sir, can we have some more ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2017

Great start - you will get your own annual at this rate.
    Just think, I get to do this as a college class project.

Thanks for the encouragement! :-)
    Concept Drawings - Temple & Compass Rose

Inspiration from ancient architecture of India and the Lotus flower symbol.
      Temple_and_CompassRose800_1066.png
    Concept Drawings - Ships

Ships1000x750.png
    Concept Drawings - Ship & Arch

Inspiration drawn from two maps of India from the 1500's and ancient architecture.
      Ship_and_Arch1000_750.png
    Concept Drawings - Ocean Rocks

I just made these up. ;-)
      Rocks_Ocean1000_750.jpg
    Concept Drawings - Oasis & Tower

Tower is inspired from ancient architecture from India.
      Oasis_and_Tower1000_750.png
    Concept Drawings - Estate & Estate Ruins

Estate_and_EstateRuins1000_750.png
    Concept Drawings - Castle & Castle Ruins

Castle_and_CastleRuins1000_750.png
    Concept Drawings - Basic Tree & Swamp Symbol

Tree symbol inspiration drawn from two maps of India from the 1500's.
      BasicTree_and_SwampSymbols1000_750.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2017 edited

These are great - I really do see a CWR annual on the way. Any chance of a Greek/Roman city, and especially a few different ships eg trireme, bireme, galley, maori longboat, chinese junk and larger ship (I know, I am greedy)
    And perhaps some of the ruins could look a bit more ruined. Just a thought
    Maybe in other sets, this one has a very specific culture to represent. I don't have the time to spend on this school project to do too much. Hopefully, it will be my starter for future sets, if they like it. I am an absolute amateur when it comes to trying to build my own map style. Lol! :-)
    Concept Drawings - Mountains 1

Mountains1_1000_750.png
    Concepts Drawings - Mountains 2

Mountains2_1000_750.png
    Concept Drawings - Mountain, Hill and Volcanic

Inspiration drawn from two maps of India from the 1500's. and photographs of volcanic activity in India.
      Mountain_Hill_Volcanic1000_750.png
    Concept Drawings - Volcanic

Inspired by photographs of volcanic activity in India.
      Volcanic1000_750.png
    Concept Drawings - Hills and Tower Ruin

Hills_TowerRuin1000_750.png
    Concept Drawings - Hills, Tower and Cave

Hills_Tower_Cave1000_750.png
    • CommentAuthorJensen
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2017

Aaaaaaah. Please hurry, I wanna use the symbols in my next map :-) . Serious, they are great!
    Thanks Jensen! :-)
    Concept Drawings - My version of Indra

Inspired by an ancient relief carving of Indra from Vedic mythology.
      Indra700_933.png
    Concept Drawings - My version of Agni

Inspired by a ancient relief carving of Agni from Vedic mythology.
      Agni700_933.png
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2017 edited

I'm appalled to discover you just "made up" the sea rocks ;D !

Seriously, these are exceptionally fine. Do you see the final versions being line-drawn in style too, or coloured?

More trees would be good, and maybe some economic symbols - rubber trees, elephants, for instance - as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I can see you going Indian subcontinent on this - a much neglected area in CC3 to date. Just love these symbols, and can't wait to see them all finished. I am really enjoying seeing all the drafts though - very exciting.
    Thanks Wyvern and Quenten! They will be in color and will be hand painted in acrylic (part of the final project requirement) and will be made into symbols for the making of a map using CC3+. As such, you may be able to see brush strokes in some of these. :-). Because, I have limited time for this project, I will divide it into a base set and into a second release of additional symbols sort of like one of the other sets that came out in an annual. Great idea on the economic symbols Wyvern! ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

You know you will now have to do all the Hindu pantheon - all one million of them! :D
    No Thank you! Lol! I am sticking to the Vedic Pantheon. :-)
    Test Symbols 1 - Handpainted
      Symbols1 800.png
    Test Symbols 1 - Stained Glass
      TestSymbols1_StainedGlass1200.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2017

Wow. Think I like the handpainted better, but not much in it.
    Thanks for the feedback Quenten! :-)

It is one part of a set of symbols. Right now I am focusing on the basic symbols that I need for my project. Right now, I have 8 bitmap fills and 52 symbols.

I have also been playing around with the camera settings. That is we're the stained glass symbol idea came from - Lol! :-)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Brush strokes being visible won't bother me at all.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

I agree with Jim about the brush strokes - a key part of a hand-drawn-look mapping style, I'd say.

For the two sample sets, I think it may depend on the bitmap fill styles of the map itself as to which would work better. The stained glass version is bold and immediately striking, certainly, and that has particular uses for a GM's map in RPG terms, where you often need to find things quickly, for instance. The hand-painted version may look more "natural" for a handout as something the players could discover though. Which is just me being unhelpfully indecisive!

Hope someone official has signed this up for one of next year's Annuals, as it would make a great advertisement seeing as we're coming up on resubscription time (was that too subtle a hint...?!).
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Sounds like a great Annual idea to me as well !
    Actually, I could do 2 to 4 versions of each symbol for the set and the user could use any of the four styles they wanted to. I could imagine a player suddenly noticing that one of the symbols on a map is in the partially broken stained glass window of the abandoned temple, "Look a, clue!?". Lol! ;-)
    My painting station - Lol! ;-)
      Painting Station.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Wow!
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Indeed !
    Volcano
      Volcanic2_800.png