Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2017 edited

I have subdivided Stromphe, now in the Atlas, into ~550x550 metre squares. The first one encompasses the Dockside, Lookout Hill and golden mews Districts, along with the Speaker's villa. May get the done by Xmas, as I am keen to work on some buildings from the district, mainly generic ones.
    So here is the very start. I am using just CD3 at present, Bitmap A, but nearly certinly will use CSUAC, Bogies< Dundjinni and Bitmap B. Please keep up your critical comments as I labour on this.
      Stromphe - Dockside.PNG
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2017

I'm really looking forward to watching your progress on this Quenten. It is going to be an amazing map.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2017

Here is a progress report. The black represents where the buildings will be - much easier for me now to lay them in. So just the buildings proper with CD3, some ship and cart symbols, vegetation and various ground fills, fences where needed, and of course, labelling. sounds a lot, but less work than I have had to date.
      Stromphe - Dockside.PNG
    • CommentAuthorShessar

This is quite wonderful! I love how you did the docks. What fill style is that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Floorboards rough, in ss2. I am turning down the glow on the streets (which i have used to replace the black street background - makes editing a LOT easier. I will also darken the docks and see how that turns out - thank heavens for adjust Hue/Saturation, which makes it easy. Otherwise the docks was as per Monsen's tutorial in the city section of the Tome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2017

This is what I am up to now, and the sort of way I will be developing the district. Comments please, and helpful suggestions.
      Stromphe - Dockside section1.PNG
    • CommentAuthorJensen

looking good, as I am a fail in doing Cities, no helpful suggestions from me, but a question: where are the ships from?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Ships are from CSUAC2.0, a free download. See the top sticky topics on the forum. Well worth getting, along with Bogies and Dundjinni
    • CommentAuthorLadieStorm
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2017 edited

There are very few maps that I make that don't contain something from the CSUAC, Bogie's Mapping Objects or the DA. Interestingly enough, one of those maps, the one I'm currently working on, is one of the few maps that doesn't have anything extra!

This is looking fantastic, so far, btw, I can't want to see it finished!
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2017

Don't want to give you more work Quenten, but maybe some additional texture/features for the sea bottom might be interesting? The sea floor looks a bit too pristine currently, compared to the ships and docks, while the shadow separation between the ships and their shadows suggests the water's shallow enough that the main sea floor features should be visible too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2017

I had already intended to fix the sea contours, but i want to get all the buildings done first. good point about the sea bottom, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2017 edited

Here are all the buildings done, In addition, in the tradition of 'Where's Wally", I have put figures of Remy Monsen, Joe Layton, Dogtag and Ralf in the streets somewhere. To make it really easy, I have labelled them with their initials. Possibly a little hard to see at this magnification, but when I have added trees and statues and fountains etc, and fixed the water, and put more labels on (need to add B for Brothels, and P for police station), I will post a link to a high-res map. The prize for the first one picking them will be an important building named in their honour (Wow!).
      Stromphe - Dockside2.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2017

Another update - sea (is this what you had in mind, Wyvern), vegetation, statues, fountains and a frame added. Just some main streets to name, and more building labelling (especially the brothels/dens, and therefore the police stations and lock-ups - just for the sake of naughty adventurers - snicker)
      Stromphe - Dockside3.PNG
    • CommentAuthorkathorus

I really dig those docks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2017 edited

Looks good Quenten. I particularly like the shallow sea you added. Not a big fan of the mermaid decoration (good gravy, I hope that's just a decoration) but that's probably just me.

What are the gray shapes between the mermaid and the scale?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

The grey shapes are just bridge rails for me to copy where needed; as I haven't finished them yet, they are still there. I will work on the cliffs (always a headache for me), add some more 'people' (carts, etc - all will be on a special layer, so they can be turned off easily), finish the labelling; and for your epicurean sensitivities, Dogtag, the mermaid IS decoration. Keep your gravy off! I would love to put a ship barometer/navigation apparatus in her place, but will have to trawl through the allowable symbol sets to for this. But it is nearly finished, so critical comment required. I am working on the notes at present.
    My future plans are to do a few buildings from here as 'typical' for that type of building elsewhere. From this district, I will do a warehouse, Temple, Shopping Arcade, and hostel/brothel/tavern. I am also reserving the Speaker's Villa, which I want to look a little like this.
      Villa of Pollio Felice.jpg
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

That certainly improves the definition of the sea floor Quenten, though if anything, I'd be inclined to make it a little less subtle than at present, particularly in the near-shore shallows. It may be worth thinking of adding a few extra rocks, especially around the buildings constructed on the water. Your Speaker's Villa illustration shows what I mean very nicely, since any constructions like this on the water would have to have solid rocky foundations if they were in the real world. Similarly, it may be worth considering swapping the Speaker's Villa wooden landing for something more robustly stone, again as in your perspective illustration.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Good points, Wyvern, and will be put on the next update. Keep those comments coming. I quite like the change at present on the sea floor, though, but I am not happy about the seaweed. will look for better symbols.
    • CommentAuthorTonnichiwa
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2017

This is looking really good Quenten!
    • CommentAuthorJimP

DogTag, there has to be a sea monster. Looks like she could destroy one of those ships without trying very hard.
    Absolutely Awesome!!!!!
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

This is just wonderful Quenten! I love it. Although I agree, i don't care much for the mermaid, the map itself it just real pretty. Bravo
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

OK, OK, the mermaid just came up for air, flopped onto the docks and perished. Now the good burghers have chucked huge anchors into the ocean to keep those peskie mermaids away (how this works is a mystery to me).
    Rocks and stone wharf, and better seaweed added.
    Next update when I have finished labelling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2017

Well, thanks to Dogtag's inhumanity to mermaids, she is now in a specimen bottle (filled with the best ouzo) in the maritime museum in the Customs House.
    This is about the final version. Please don't hesitate to nit-pick. This is the first time I have done anything like this, and i want to do the other ditricts in Stromphe over 2018. So I need you all to help my learning curve.
    But it has been a labour of love (esp a labour!)
      Stromphe - Dockside4.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

And I fixed the spelling of buoys
    Hi Quenten,

I am new here. This is really great work.

-dennis
    • CommentAuthorcrb31

really great work! In doing my own city I get bogged down in details and don't like the way it is coming out so I stop. Thanks for showing us the progression of you map it gives me some inspiration to move on from my starting map.
    • CommentAuthorjslayton

Does http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/16658/16673086_2.jpg?v=8D04270A8CA23B0 accurately sum up what happened to that poor mermaid?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Dogtag, even Joe know what you are like about mermaids. I have reported you to the Royal Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Mermaids and other Fictional Creatures (RSPCMFC).
      Catching a mermaid.jpg
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

Quenten somewhat wearily commented:...it has been a labour of love (esp a labour!)

But you must recall that Rome Stromphe City wasn't built in a day, Quenten...

Setting aside the dubious delights of the mermaids and what some may do with them, the key listing looks a little too transparent, and maybe the "Buoys" label and markers should be a bit more like the rest of that list, since right now, they could be two more markers at sea which are actually named "Buoys". Maybe it would be helpful to add in the PDF map notes too (if not already) that these are actually lamp buoys, and what the lights mean, for those less familiar with maritime usage?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Good point about the buoys. But I like the 'watery' feel to the key. And Rome ain't seen nothin' yet!
    (Still in shock, horror and inconsolable grief about the mermaid)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Can anyone come up with a more decorative 'marine' type scale? I am looking without success.
    Oh, and ship chronometres etc. No luck with Bogies/CSUAC2.0 or Dundjinni on my looking
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2018 edited

I haven't noticed any marine/ship chronometers in the symbols either. I just did a duckduckgo.com search for 'chronometer pictures' and saw plenty of them.

edit: The ones we had aboard ship were circular wood containers, with a place for a wind up key, 24 hour numbers, minute hand, and second hand.

This is the closest I can find. Navy chronometer
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2018 edited

I have just turned in the Stromphe Dockside District Map to Monsen - with the mermaid. Thank you to all for your help and encouragement. I learnt a lot doing this, my first large city distrcit map, and I hope to get to work on the next one soon. But I have now finished my 'before Xmas 2017' list.
    I would like to run past you which area I should do next, and I give you three choices - north to the rest of Waterside and the Upper Tables and The Heights Districts (very upper class and embassy area); west to Cockles Maze and the Prison districts (low working class and the really poor); or east to the Agora (the heart of Stromphe life). The pics are in the order above.
      stromphe_tiles-1_2.PNG
      stromphe_tiles-2_1.PNG
      stromphe_tiles-2_3.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2018

You're doing a marvellous job on this, Quenten. I keep meaning to comment but I always seem to get interrupted by reality just as I'm about to say something!

I would say do whatever part of it tickles your imagination the most ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

They all appeal, and i would like the community to help me to decide, so since you started Sue, you have to be the first to make a choice!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Eeeeeerm..... Ummmmmmmmmm...... *sicks wind through teeth and squints sideways at the selection*

That one!

The one at the bottom :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Agora District: 1 vote.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

For those who may not download the hi-res map from the Atlas, here is the hi-res link that i have done (not the official Atlas one) so you can hunt for Remy Monsen (RM), Dogtag (DT), Joe Layton (JSL) and Ralf Schemmann (RS) hidden somewhere on the streets of Stromphe, quite lost and bemused. As always, beware of the mermaid.
    Large version
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Quenten's docks are now online in the atlas. Looks like a good place to adventure.
    • CommentAuthorScottA

I choose the bottom one, as well (Agora).

The Dockside map is very nice and really looks like you put a great deal of time into it. Glad to see the mermaid go, though, too. She just didn't fit (mertitan, perhaps???).
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

She is still there Scott - look at the rocks in the centre - Baron Doggetage's Bane!
    Agora district 2 votes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

Quenten wrote:She is still there Scott - look at the rocks in the centre - Baron Doggetage's Bane!

8-|
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Love that emoticon, (Baron) Dogtag! :D