Any way to move C:\Programdata files to another drive?

With all the various CC3+ components installed, the support files (symbols, etc.) take up 25 GB (about 10%) of my C: drive and I was wondering if there was a way to move them to my D: drive which has lots and lots of free space. This is a Windows 10 machine.

Thanks,
Steven

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Yes, but it is a manual process.

1. Move the CC3Plus folder from ProgramData to your desired location.
    2. Edit the file @.ini found in c:\program files (x86)\ProFantasy\CC3Plus\ and change the path inside it to the new location you moved the ProgramData CC3+ folder to. Note that it is important that this is 100% correct, or CC3+ won't find the data directory, and things won't work correctly. Also note that since this file is inside the Program files folders, you need to run the text editor as admin to be able to edit and save this file.

(Also, make sure you don't confuse the two directories. Only move the CC3Plus directory from ProgramData, not the one found under Program Files (x86))
  • Solved the problem.

Turns out windows 10 has a mklink command and

You need to run it from the command line and have administrator settings on it.

To do so, type in

CMD

in the cortana search box and then hit CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER all at the same time.

This opens a command prompt window with administrator access. You can then type in the command to make the link.

So the steps I did are as follows for anyone else looking to do this:

1) Copy the entire c:\programdata\profantasy file to your other hard drive.
    2) Just for an extra precaution, rename the c:\programdata\profantasy to another name. (This lets you have two copies just in case)
    3) run the CMD prompt as described above.
    4) mklink /J c:\programdata\profantasy d:\profantasy - this creates the link to the place where you copied the folder in step 1 (in my case on the D drive)
    5) Run CC3+ to verify that everything works.
    6) Delete the renamed file in step 2.

For me, I just cleared up 25GB of space on my C drive by doing this.

did the trick.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    MKLINK is a great tool, I use it a lot myself (among other things, to have CC3 and CC3+ share art files to save on space when both are installed), but in this specific case, I think I would still recommend my solution above.
  • I wasn't aware of the ini file. That is certainly an easier fix for anyone.

Out of curiosity, do you know if future installs (like Annuals, etc.) look at that link to install in the correct place or would they need to be moved after install?
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    They use the value in the INI file so, once you update it, you're good.
  • Interesting as I didn't know the ProgramData folder could be moved.