Cartographer's Annuals and content

Feel like I am the fountain of questions with potentially obvious answers these days, but for the life of me I can't seem to find a good overview of the full contents of each Annuals pack (primarily considering recent years). Now, I know they are probably all worth having at some point, but 11*28 pounds is slightly too much to dish out all in one go, I feel.

I would therefore like to properly review the content of each, so I can chose the ones that focus more heavily on overland fantasy mapping and symbol sets, or have the better symbol sets (in my pov, so some pictures?!?), as that is my current focus (still on the alpha stage as far as the learning curve is concerned).

Is there such a resource? I mean, christmas is right around the corner, so it would be nice to include an annuals edition or two on the wishlist.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    All annuals have their own set of pages with description of each issue, including a image gallery. You can access these from the Products menu on the main profantasy website. Here is thew link to the 2007 annual, there are links tot he rest from that one.
  • This is though an excellent time to consider a complete Annuals purchase, because by buying the Annual Bundle, you get all eleven years' worth of Annuals for the discounted price of 189 GBP, less ANOTHER 30%, because of the ongoing Black Friday Promotion (ends 2017 Nov 27), so making the total just over 132 GBP, less than half price overall.

I mention this because that's what I did last year, after also trawling through all the Annuals, and finally realising there were too many interesting things to be selective (for me anyway)!
  • edited November 2017
    Yeah i had a feeling that selecting would be an issue. I knew about those pages Monsen, but the are not very informative. They are in fact the reason I posted.

I mean, it almost like ProFantasy doesnt want the annuals to sell, the way they market them. There should be far more pictures of the maps and more complete showcasing of the symbol sets, so that a potential customer can get a feel for it, and from that the feeling "oh I just can't possibly continue my mapping without that symbol set". It almost seems like the sites are made with those who already have a good sense of what the annuals contain, not to fascilitate a purchase in those who dont.
  • edited November 2017
    Not meant as rude :)

Though I didnt really expect artists to be great at marketing, for artists are what most of you are, truly. The maps are just atonishing.

So just out out interest... do we have any notions about the distrubution of why people are here? I would assume GMs/DMs, writers and true hearted cartographers to be in the majoritry, but dont really know.
  • I didn't find any real missed marketing opportunities among the Annual descriptions personally, but you are probably correct to suggest most folks come to the Annuals after they've been using the main Campaign Cartographer software for a while - so the lists of what each contains mean perhaps rather more than they might for someone coming to them "cold". Certainly, those, plus the text descriptions and illustrations were enough to sway me. But I have long been a sucker for a pretty map anyway!

As for the Forum contributor connections, there may be earlier discussions I don't recall now, but there was an interesting What Are Everyone's RPG Connections? topic started back in June. And there are quite a number of writers/novelists who are active here too - making maps for their books, especially.
  • I hope no one means my maps are astonishing. There are lots of astonishing maps around here, but not mine. Although I have improved...