CC3+ plugin/update installation problems

So I recently replaced my laptop, and am now going through the lengthy process of reinstalling all my old software, including Campaign Cartographer. The laptop has a small SSD drive for the operating system (Windows 10 Home), and a large platter drive for data and programs, mounted as the D drive. Since CC3 with a lot of plugins can get quite large, I installed CC3+ on the D drive (D:\Programs\ProFantasy\CC3Plus) without any problems, but none of the plugins or updates want to install at all. The official update says it can't find the installation, even when I point it to the correct directory. Plugins like City Designer and Dungeon Designer just give up, saying it can't be found and to install CC3Plus. I do not wish to install this program on the SSD for space reasons. Does anyone have a solution?

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited November 2017
    When you are installing the add-ons, are you sure you're installing the CC3Plus versions? Remember, there are two versions of each add-on, one for CC3 (no plus) and one for CC3+.
    Posted By: nycholdSince CC3 with a lot of plugins can get quite large, I installed CC3+ on the D drive...
    That's true about CC3 (no plus) but, with CC3+, the bulk of the programs is the data (symbols, bitmap fills, templates, and so on). For example, I have CC3+ and all the add-ons, symbol sets, and every annual, and my CC3Plus program folder (on C:) is under 60 MB. The data folder, on the other hand, is several GB. You may want to reconsider and install the program files to the C: drive normally and just be sure to set the Data Directory to a location on your D: drive.

EDIT: Per Monsen's post, below, there's apparently no need to uninstall/reinstall the program to the C: drive since it appears CC3+ automatically installs the program files to the system drive.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Just one note to what Dogtag says above here. The advice to keep CC3+ itself on the C drive is sound, but unless you are manually manipulating files, you are already doing this, because the CC3+ installer only asks for the location of the data directory, the program itself will always be installed to the C drive, there are no option in the installer to change this.
    As for space, CC3+ only consumes about 50MB on the C drive (as long as you put your data directory somewhere else (like D), as configurable in the installer), so keeping the installation itself on the C drive shouldn't be an issue even for the smallest SSD.
  • Okay, so no idea what happened at all. The only thing I downloaded was CC3+ and the appropriate add-ons, but after and uninstall and reinstall, everything works fine. And yes, the installer did say that only data would be installed on the D drive. Just goes to show how often I read those screens. 60 MB is no problem, but I knew the City Designer add-on was a hard 2ish GB so the C drive was unacceptable. :) Anyway, yeah...weird.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Glad to know it all worked out.