CG's November Mapping Challenge: Survive! VeterHaven Fort (WIP)

This month for the mapping challenge, we are supposed to create a map of a place someone would use to survive a zombie invation (or any other monster for that matter). It can be of any genre, or of any time period. We just have to map a place where a hand full of humanity can survive. I've barely started my journey, but I thought I would post it so people can give their opinions as i map it. :) Mine is more dark Ages than any other genre. Without further adieu, here is what I have so far:

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
  • the moat is not even done yet :) I have more plans for it.
  • Okay, in this version, a lot of my previous issues are fixed, and I've moved on to creating the village inside the fort. Thanks to Remy reminding me about the node edit on wide lines, and the issue with the walls being on both the correct sheet AND layer so that my cutting tool will work, I managed to fix my fort walls. I've also changed the redundancy on a few of my textures, because they were either too redundant, or they weren't redundant enough!

And I've started my village. Now this is going to be a relatively small village, so it's over halfway complete, just as it is. The only thing besides a few more houses, is possibly a small pub/tavern that may double up as a very small inn. This is going to be a very small farming community inside these walls because, let's face it, if you are going to try to survive a zombie invasion, you have to be able to produce your own food! So let's see what we have here!
  • Interesting idea for a challenge. The subject got me thinking: in a world facing a zombie apocalypse, and if it's certain the dead will rise, then there will be no more burials, no more cemeteries. Survivors would likely burn their dead, instead.

Your village needs a crematorium. :)
  • actually, I kind of have a plan for that, you will just have to wait and see :D
  • I'm still in fort mapping mode... I've added a bit more here and there, and I'm hitting that point that I always do in a mapping project. I'm wondering if I have layed this fort out in a way that makes sense. It sort of makes sense to me, but that's not saying much!

Anyway, here's my progress, and I'm hoping someone will look at it and start making suggestions/asking questions that will help bring clarity to my own thoughts!
  • Coming along nicely! I really like the moat, especially. My one suggestion would be to keep the floors and the walls of the "Wall" the same fill - just make one a bit lighter or darker than the other. It's not likely that building this, they would have used completely different stone for the floors and walls - just my personal opinion though, when constructing city or castle walls.
  • Love, love, love the moat!

Since you suggested we ask questions I'm going to start by asking the one pain in the butt question that I always ask. LOL

What is the scale of this map?

How wide is the moat? How wide is the wall and how big are the towers? Now, how big are those buildings in the upper left of the town? Compare that to that building in the upper right with all of those dormers on the roof. How big are those dormers and does the comparative size of all of these elements make sense?

I'm not saying that things are scaled wrong, but the size differences of the buildings and the drastic differences in building design take away from the sense of continuity. In most small villages building tend to be made from the same or at least similar materials because that is what is closest to hand. Would a small farming village have terracotta roof tiles available and if so, would they have enough of them to shingle massive buildings?

These are just some things to ponder as you work. Yes, these are the sorts of things I think about when I map, which is why I am so slow at creating city and dungeon maps.Hehe.
  • Lol... Shessar, I actually love your questions! Because that means that I'm not overdoing it when I'm thinking these things. It also means that, when someone does ask these questions, and I know they will, I have the answers.

First off, the moat - mostly man made, which is why it's so wide and so deep. The area is actually in a low water basin, that floods alot. The nobleman (a Count or Duke, I have to go back and check my notes) that saw a low hill in a small lake, and realized the possibilities. So he built his estate on this hill... after leveling it out a bit. He brought his people here, settled them, and the village started to grow around his estate.

This leads into your question about the roofs - If you notice, the only buildings besides the businesses (wainwright, butcher, baker, smithy, stables, and the 'King's Farms, or in this case, the Duke's Farm) is in the expensive tile roofs. The Duke built those building for his faithful subjects. The garrison as well, because his army must be well cared for to protect him.

The rest of the buildings, are built out of what can be found...thatch and wood shingles.

As for the scaling... everything is scaled to size 1, except for the garrison which was STILL too big, so it's actually scaled to .5, and a few of the small houses which were still too small, and were scaled to 1.5

The outer walls of the fort, are taller than the Duke's Castle... as it stands right now... but I'm wondering if that's too tall. The rest of the scaling, I'm still messing with to get it right.
  • Posted By: LadieStormactually, I kind of have a plan for that, you will just have to wait and see :D
    You tease. ;-)
  • And the work on this map continues...still... And there are quite a bit of changes.

I took Lorelei's suggestion, and changed the wall fill. It's not the same as the cracked asphalt of my floors, but it's close, because it's the asphalt fill. I have to admit, it does look a lot more natural this way. I've also added a bit more by way of the farm, or farms, actually. I have to add the food source, of course! At this point, I'm a little more than half way finished, and I have 6 days to complete it. No pressure!
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited November 2017
    You can do it!

Ironic that the "asphalt fill" looks "more natural."

How does the water flow out through the wall and into the moat? That seems to be a troubling vulnerability, especially given the scale of the water flow. Assuming it's water, of course.
  • oh, there's a culvert there... you just can't see it in the top down view. And no... it's not just water :)

But believe me, that vulnerability will work itself out, I'm sure :D
  • I am now almost finished with this map. I got a lot done today! And so now, finally, it is revealed as to why this fort is particularly resistant to all manners of the undead.

I do still have a few things to do, labeling, setting up my tower defenses, map border and title... but I can get that done fairly quickly. So here's Fort VeterHaven at this point:
  • It would be great if this could be put in the Atlas, if you only used Profantasy products and CSUAC/Dundjinni/Bogies.
    It looks great, and I will certainly vote for it.
  • unfortunately, I'm using a few that aren't in any of those three... so all that would show up would be red x's.
  • So I was scrolling slowly down through this and reading / checking out the WIP while considering the effectiveness of the fortress against zombies. Then as I reached the last pic I actually LOL'ed and spit a bit of soda on my desk. "Yup - pretty defensible..."
  • The crew in "The Restless Dead" could use a refuge like that. :)
  • Awesome map LadieStorm! Love it!
  • Well, it's almost complete! Just a few odds and ends and I'm done :D
  • I go off grid for a few days and come back to this! Great map, Storm!
  • LOL, Lorelei! Well, here is the next, and last installment of this map, because it is now complete! I may have a tinker here and there to do, but for the most part, I am done with this one.
  • This does answer my question of what to do with people who die: say a quick prayer and toss'em in the moat. :)