Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2017 edited

Very preliminary map. Using mike Schley symbols. I have restrict to map border and crop to aspect ratio. So I'll just crop it in Irfanview later on.

There will be a path coming up from the lower left, from the cove. To the right is a path full of pitfalls and other traps.
      oldwizards_tower01_0010b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2017

The trees ! The fir trees closed up the village's farm land, and forced the villagers to flee. The village that provided food and clothes to the three abandonded towers. Towers that were placed there long ago to keep a watch on the old wizard's tower.

The two groups of trees, dead decidious and life coniferous, are not good, but the dead ones are likely evil. One fir tree has strayed too quickly towards the wizard's tower, coming in from the North west.

The Trees are engaged in a hundreds, maybe thousands, of years long battle.

Will adventurers solve the battle by taking out any evil left in the tower ?

Only time will tell.
      oldwizards_tower01_0016b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Any suggestions for names for the third tower and the village ?

The village is barley 131 feet wide. Should I increase the scale and make it larger ?

Otherwise, I'm finished.
      oldwizards_tower01_0021b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Jim, a suggestion - put in some more dead tree symbols among the coniferous ones from Mike Schley to represent the 'other' side in the Battle of the Trees
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

I would suggest making the village up from several symbol instead of just one at this scale, as to better show the shape and the size of it. Position multiple symbols next to each other like you might have seen people use to make isometric cities using overland symbols (although the village should obviously use far fewer symbols than a city)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I wanted to stick with Mike Schley but what symbols do you suggest for the village ?

The dead trees in the coniferous tree areas were eaten by the fir trees... :-)

But okay. I'll work on that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

The Schlely symbols are fine, but you could build up a village by using a combination of the (non-walled) town, village and hamlet symbols mixed together. You also have varicolor versions to rely on. I was thinking you could make something like this (at a much smaller scale of course, you are only making a small village, not a city like here, but your map scale is large enough that the village shouldn't be represented by just a simple symbol, doesn't do it proper justice at that scale.) I'd also probably consider moving away some of the trees to make room for the village, like it is now, it doesn't really have room to be a village at all.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2017

I found them... further down in the symbol list. I'll see what I can come up with. Hadn't thought of scrolling down this time.

I can make region maps, and city/town maps. Its the maps in between those I have difficulty working out.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I didn't have the village at the same scale as the rest of the symbols... so I deleted that and added some ruins from the same symbol set. Some there aren't any ruined versions, but I did add a medium gray vari-color to the village symbols. Some ruined houses down by the southeast tower to.
      oldwizards_tower01_0024b.png
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

For the village name, maybe Dunsinane, given the encroachment of the woods? I have weird thoughts from time to time...
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Here ya go.
      oldwizards_tower01_0025b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2017

Any more suggestions ? I'll be submiting this weekend or on Monday.

Thanks !
    • CommentAuthorJensen

Great map for an andventure. I really like it, several ideas coming up about what's possible to play there. For our kind of maps the most important thing.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Thanks !

I hope to do an isometric dungeon before Christmas.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Silent Forest

Symbols from Mike Schley.

The ruined towers were there to keep a watch on the Wizard. They, and the small village that supported them, are now in ruins. Three ruined houses are near The Charging Tower.

Fill under the forest is: Scrubland_MS from Mike Schley

Path to the Cove: How the Old Wizard gets supplies. Marshy, sand banks, foggy at all times of the year. 221 feet long by 222 feet wide. Rather regular for an inlet...

The open area that goes past The Charging Tower to the southeast is full of pit traps.

The dead decidious trees, and the fir trees, seem to be in a decades long battle over dominance.

Silent Forest: No animal nor bird sounds, the Wizard doesn't like noise.

A number of small unmarked ponds. Unknown depths. Anything falls in, the leaves close back up. No signs of anything nor anyone had come by there.

Submitting in a minute or two.
      oldwizards_tower01b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Jim's Old Wizard's Tower map is no in the atlas. Thanks for another nice map.

To all of you out there who hasn't contributed yet, new and old; Why not consider making a map for the atlas during Christmas? There are still unlimited places that need maps.