Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2017

Here is the start of the Tartessos Region, site of the ruins of Tartessos, an Irisian City States colony
      Tartessos Region.JPG
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

Like the dragon "hiding" its head in the northwestern hills. And I do wonder what's going on under the sea to give the northeastern squid such a surprised look!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I'll be changing the position of the Dragon and creature in the middle between the mountains.
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Well, obviously, the monsters are playing hide and go seek and the giant squid just spotted the dragon trying to hide in the hills.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

You are such funny guys! :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2017

I love the idea of using the decorative creatures inland.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Posted By: ScottAWell, obviously, the monsters are playing hide and go seek and the giant squid just spotted the dragon trying to hide in the hills.

That would explain the wide eyed look on the octopus. Or at that scale, must be one of the legendary Kraken !
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2017 edited

Posted By: DogtagI love the idea of using the decorative creatures inland.

Agreed. Wish we had some inland-appropriate ones.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

The inland monster symbols point has come up before - usually whenever this style of drawing features! I think the only current solution still is to use some of the free clipart-style fonts that have medieval creatures in, but you then have to devise your own colour schemes for them, of course.

Hopefully if we keep bringing the point up though, magically one day an Annual will appear with a host of new medieval land monster symbols :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2017

Personally, I just liked the outside-the-box idea of using the sea monster ornamentation inland.  :D

Incidentally, during a discussion about sea monsters a while back, I stumbled across a neat little article and "slide show" about map monsters.
    Awesome Quenten! :-). I love how you used the sea monster icon on the landmass as well. It looks like it is emerging from it's underground lair. I would probably shrink it though by half. ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2017

Here is an update on Tartessos region. I have used symbols from a number of annuals (72, 89, 109, 121).No text as yet. Comments please.
      Tartessos Region.PNG
    Very nice mix of colors and symbols. I especially like the location of the banner were it partially goes off the map. As a design choice, it makes the map more interesting and dynamic. Great job! :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Thanks Charles. Some of the symbols need to get a bit smaller, and others need to get larger. I will fix this when I do the text. Should be ready well before Xmas.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

Quenten, don't know if you've seen CA 132 yet (Cthulhu City, just out yesterday), but it has an interesting new octopoid/Cthulhoid compass rose option which might work here instead of the kraken-and-ship symbol or the present compass rose. There are some other new symbols in the full set that would work in contexts beyond their intended ones as well - marsh with a tentacle, graveyard, sinkhole, reef (again with something weird and tentacular upon it!), park, church and cathedral especially, plus a second new compass rose with multiple tentacles, tentacular scale bar and cartouches. Most are only black-and-white, but do have a similar hand-drawn look to the monsters here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Just got the annual, and thanks so much for this suggestion - I will most certainly take it up. BTW, where is your Community Atlas map - do you have an old or new map you have done that could be put in the atlas somewhere (so long as it sticks to CC3+, CSUAC, Bogies, Dundjinni and the Annuals). I know I would love to see you on board, even if it is just 1 map - building, dungeon, village/town, island etc
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2017

Sadly, getting involved with the Community Atlas project isn't practical for me still at present. However, and largely because of the continuing interest here, I do keep coming up with ideas for maps I might create for it from time to time - so I'm not saying never!

Incidentally, back to my earlier point, it occurred to me sometime later that the Cthulhu-head with the star-like forehead compass rose on it might look good on your Mercator-style Nibirum map instead of the kraken-and-ship symbol there presently, Quenten. Plus the starlike element would mesh with the concept of Nibirum as a real-world celestial object originally.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2017

Here is the hopefully final version of tartessos the Doomed! Needs no map notes, methinks. I will also submit this to Monsen in next 24 hours, but willing to make amendments depending on comments.
      Tartessos Region2.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2017

I think I'll skip my plans to visit there. ;)

Looks rich for adventuring, though!
    But the ruins of Tartessos are so beautiful this time of year. Lol! ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime7 days ago

This has now been sent to Remy Monsen for the Atlas.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTime6 days ago

The Tartessos Region is now included in the atlas. Another great map from Quenten.