Using DD/CC symbols in Roll20 as tokens instead of map symbols

Is it both technically possible and otherwise permissible to use the symbols in my CC/DD programs as tokens in Roll20?

Rather than putting all the detail on to the map while creating it in DD it seems to me it would be better to keep the actual map bare-bones, and make anything that could possibly be moved or manipulated by players (chairs, chests, rugs, etc.) a token. If it's OK to use the symbols for that purpose, would I just copy them into Roll20?

Comments

• edited November 2017
    I use them all the time for my maps rather than buy tokens on Roll20 - as long as you are not selling the symbols, there shouldn't be an issue. Just upload them into your Roll20 library one at a time. I also use the symbols to make tokens in PS as seen in the attachment (I like the round tokens as they are easier to see on some of my maps which have lots of floor textures making some of the small symbols difficult to see)
  • OK, thanks - it seems to work pretty well. It's for personal use, not commercial.

Takes more time to add the final touches than it would in DD, but more flexible afterwards.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    As long as they are for personal use, you have a license, and you are not giving access to the symbols to anyone else (eg by letting them log in to your account), it's OK. Obviously, roll20 may need to cache symbols locally on players' computers - that's fine.
  • 2 years later
  • Re this subject, if I were to create and sell an RPG module on Roll20 and used some of the monster tokens from Token Treasury for the monsters is that permissible under the licence?

Also, I've installed the Token Treasury but can't locate in CC3+. How do I access it?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited June 2020
    License questions should be directed directly to ProFantasy to get an official answer. Contact information
    But as I read the license, no, you cannot do that, because you would be redistributing the actual artwork, and that isn't allowed under the license. You are allowed to make maps containing such artwork and distribute those, but not distribute the original artwork.

In CC3+, you should have a button for the token treasury at the end of your add-on icons. If it doesn't show up, try to close down all instances of CC3+ and (re-)install the latest update, that should fix missing toolbar items.
  • <blockquote><cite>Posted By: Monsen</cite>License questions should be directed directly to ProFantasy to get an official answer.<a href="https://www.profantasy.com/service/default.asp">Contact information</a>
    But as I read the license, no, you cannot do that, because you would be redistributing the actual artwork, and that isn't allowed under the license. You are allowed to make maps containing such artwork and distribute those, but not distribute the original artwork.

In CC3+, you should have a button for the token treasury at the end of your add-on icons. If it doesn't show up, try to close down all instances of CC3+ and (re-)install the latest update, that should fix missing toolbar items.</blockquote>

Thanks for the response Monsen. That's fair enough, as I would be selling the actual token as part of the package. I suspect tokens created from output of Character Designer add-on may be a different story. When I get to the point where I need an official answer I'll contact Profantasy directly as you suggest.

I tried to re-install the program last night and it gave me options to repair or uninstall. I chose the repair option but didn't notice the extra button. I'll check again this evening and if it's not there I'll uninstall then re-install.

Cheers,
    Jim
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Speaking from personal experience with other publishers (not PF) it is better to ask before you put all your heart into designing a thing around something that later proves to be unusable. Getting a 'no' before you start is disappointing, but doing all that work and pinning all your dreams on it and then being told 'no' is utterly shattering.

Here are two examples of how I really hurt myself in the past by leaving the all important question till I'd nearly completed a project:

- I made an entire new map style to be able to draw a map of Malacandra as envisioned by the writing of C S Lewis, only to discover after several weeks of work that the foundation that currently holds the copyright of his books will not allow the online showing of maps of Malacandra, or indeed of anything that is based on his writing and not commissioned directly by them.

- In another example, I made a whole forest of trees from scratch using Vue and its add-ons, only to discover that I couldn't even share them with my friends unless I bought into the pro level software at around £1,500.

But don't give up either! I managed to make a new mapping style without having to borrow the inspiration of a long dead author, and I've made several forests of trees by now using 3D modelling apps that I checked beforehand would allow me to hold the full commercial rights on my personal work.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    For the install issues, did Token Treasure find CC3+ when first installed? TT1 do also give you the option of just installing the artwork for use without CC3+, so it can kind of look like everything went smoothly, but in reality, only the stand-alone artwork was installed.

To check if it is installed in CC3+ properly, you can click the open symbol catalog button, and browse to @Symbols\Token Treasury, and see if you have any symbol catalogs in there. If you do, the product is installed, but if not (or if that folder doesn't exist) it wasn't installed into CC3+ at all.
  • edited July 2020
    This PF blog posting suggested February this year, but of course the world fell apart shortly after then, so I imagine its release may have fallen foul of that. Someone asked in April about an update on its release, but like a lot of similar systems, I don't think the blog comments are easy to monitor, and unfortunately, it didn't get a response. Hopefully before not too much longer.