Quick FT3 question

So while I've been waiting to see if we could figure out my cc3+ issues, I have been messing around in my new Fractal Terrains 3, trying to get a feel for how it works. Remy, I admit, I haven't started following any of the Tome tutorials, yet, I'm just getting a general feel of it first. I promise, I plan on going through the Tome soon.

I have noticed one little quirk that I wanted to ask about. When I have Fractal Terrains open, and I want to open a world I've already saved, I have noticed that my save folder looks like it's empty... it looks like there is nothing saved there. Now if I type in a file name, for example tester1_workable(which is a wold map I've saved) it does open, and the world I saved is there.

I also notice that if I close FT3, and look in the FT3 folder (or in this case, the FT3 maps folder I created on my external hard drive to save the maps into) I can see them there, no problem.

Is this a glitch? Or is there something I'm supposed to do to make them visible?

Comments

• JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited November 2017
    I thought it saved them to the Worlds folder, but thats definitions instead. I found mine under the FT3 folder. So I created a folder and did my exports to there.

Of course, they could be saved to the ProgramData folder.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Did you save the file with the .ftw file extension? File Open Dialogs usually filter the dialog by the file type belonging to the program, so if the file doesn't have the correct extension, it won't show in the dialog by default.

I remember Mark mentioning that he had you turn on the display of file extension in Windows. This means that when you save files, it is also possible to actually save them without the required extension.
  • as far as I know I'm saving them with the file extension. Like I said, when I go to the folder that they are saved in, I can see them. Of course, the icon looks like a blank sheet of paper with the file name beside it. It doesn't look like an fcw from cc3+, for example. It's just when I open the save folder [b]from inside FT3[/b] that it looks like I'm opening an empty folder. But, again, if I type in the file name of a world I know I have saved, FT3 opens it as if it's there in the save folder. It's not a problem right now, it's more of a curiosity. But once I get to the point where I have a lot of these worlds saved, it could become a problem later on.
    Posted By: LadieStormOf course, the icon looks like a blank sheet of paper with the file name beside it.
    Then the file doesn't have the extension. Just rename it from windows exlorer, and append .ftw to the file name, and you should be set.
  • Okay, that works. Is there any way to set it so that when I save the .ftw is automatically added?
    FT should add the extension to file names automatically by default to the suggested name, but when you change the file name in the save as box, be sure to keep the extension part. If you erase it, the file name will come out without one.