WIP - Unexplored Planet Fuel Refinery

So, i've been commissioned by a gamer who does a Star Wars RPG Podcast called Misfits of Space
As most of you know Modern/Sci-Fi mapping is not my usual bag...but it's a paid commission and the exposure is great. I don' t know much about the planet other than it is polluted. And more importantly, i don't know much about Refineries in the "space age" - anyone have any suggestions as to what to put in all those rooms? The client wanted 20-30 rooms - so there'll be a 2nd floor with "Executive" fancy offices, etc. So far i've got a machine shop, cafeteria, and lounge. The large tanks outside are the fuel tanks and the smaller ones in the bldg north of them are water cooling tanks and the bldg south of main bldg is Security.....help?

Comments

• Josh.P.Josh.P. Traveler
    edited November 2017
    Inside there would be plenty of industrial equipment. Consider that the tanks outside are just for holding resources that are then refined using what?

Also if you have a copy of Player Unknown's Battleground feel free to go to the refinery to research. If you walk in yelling "I'm a chicken let me peck" over and over again I promise not to shoot you on sight.
  • Fair point Josh - okay so i've made a couple of adjustments so far
  • Look's more believable already :)

I would try give the rooms a sunken feel with metal walk'ways overhead moving between the excessive pipes etc. The oil refinery's I have run around in games are never just one level .

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/b0/fb/cb/b0fbcbb9f7a7faffeb0c16e48731d2b7.jpg
  • Not my thing, either, but it is a nice looking map.
  • Looks really good so far Lorelei!

I would add a room for the company computer center and one for the refinery control room. Parts storage/warehousing. Lab facilities.
  • I was going to say control panels and monitors, more pipes, something akin to a boiler room/ coolant system, I would say there might also be a medical station for minor injuries, or if there are any chemicals that might be part of the refining process, then there would be decontamination chambers with showers and such. And computers... lots and lots of computers, for monitoring, climate (or other types) control, processing and the like.
  • Presumably too the finished products will need shipping out somehow, so a loading dock area in/near the warehouse might be useful.

Do the staff live-in? That creates different needs than if they travel in daily. If the latter, how do they get there? Do they need to park vehicles?

While the big tanks tend to dominate the scenery in people's minds with refineries, most of the facility is really made up of pipework of varying sizes, and probably at different levels, most of which tends to be above ground level for ease of access and cheapness of construction. Such pipework often forms "walls" or even footways, where lots of pipes heading in the same direction are grouped together. Very convenient for skirmish wargames and RPG chases, of course!

From the security angle, the small pedestrian access gate on the southwest side is a bad idea, unless it goes to some key external area. In which case, there should be another, smaller, blockhouse close-by to maintain a continuous watch. Also, some of the buildings and tanks seem uncomfortably close to the external fence. But that's just me in my "security officer" wargamer/RPG role...
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited November 2017
    Wyvern pointed out:From the security angle, the small pedestrian access gate on the southwest side is a bad idea, unless it goes to some key external area. In which case, there should be another, smaller, blockhouse close-by to maintain a continuous watch. Also, some of the buildings and tanks seem uncomfortably close to the external fence. But that's just me in my "security officer" wargamer/RPG role...
    Then again, this is an "unexplored planet" so the level of security implemented at the refinery could be based on "sensor readings" or other factors, like whether the planet was even charted or whose territory it was in, that suggest security against ground threats isn't an issue. Or the notion that any ground threat would come from an overwhelming force that would render anything pretty much moot.

Alternatively, maybe add a shield generator (lots of examples of Star Wars universe shield generators on the web), though I don't know if those would stop people or vehicles (I'm not sure) and might need to be augmented by other ground defenses. I suppose it also matters if this is an Imperial (or "First Order") facility, a Rebel facility, or something else entirely. Either way, the whereabouts of the planet and knowledge of its resources probably plays into the security angle, too. Because, sci-fi.  :D  >-)
  • locker room, pump machinery (like in the south building), droid maintenance, machine shop(s)
    More pipes make a bunch of them and come up with color code system. Just what they do is a GM/scenario designer problem.
  • edited November 2017
    Hey guys everybody, thank you! I've made changes based on your suggestions, my symbol collection and of course the clients requirements - I think these are pretty much done - just some finishing touches, and of course if y'all have any more suggestions or critiques -

EDIT: I can't get the first level to show up first for some reason - but in any case that's the second level, then first
  • You have smashed this well done!
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited November 2017
    The Force is strong with this one.
  • Nicely done Lorelei. I think it would be funfor the players if you added a ladder of two to climb on the tanks, and maybe the buildings should cast a shadow similar to the one from the tanks?
    I don't fully understand the pipe from the tanks to the main building. Is in there at ground level? This looks strange with the road bellow...