Copy and paste

OK, I am a complete and utter N00b, I understand that. I am just not getting the intricacies of copy and paste. What I *want* to do is set up a bunch of standardized objects and text that I can then use (or not) on various maps. Since I am going to have a lot of maps that need similar information, this could save me hundreds of hours in the long run....

However, whenever I try to cut and paste, it never works. I have read the various FAQs to no avail, it just doesn't seem to work for me.

For example, let's say I put a table on the screen. I then press the "copy" button, left click-drag-left click again to "do it." It seems to select it. Then, when I try to paste it, it doesn't seem to do anything. For example, if I hit paste, then try to put an object somewhere, it doesn't paste anything. I get the crosshairs, but can't seem to paste anything.

I am obviously doing it wrong and this is very frustrating.

Also... does the clipboard stay around if you make a new map, or does it flush? This is all academic if I can't copy from one "template" file to my maps.

Thanks!!!!!

Comments

• What if u were to make a symbol catalog of the standardized objects u want to use?
  • I'm not at my CC computer, but if memory serves. after you select the items, the Command Line is prompting you to select and origin point -- what point in the copied items to use as reference for when it pastes it in. Until you have done this, there is nothing copied into the clipboard.

Try that, let us know how it goes
    Steve
  • pvernonpvernon Betatester 🖼️ 34 images Traveler
    edited February 2009
    Anna has the most robust answer (and my first choise), but there is always more than one way of doing anything in CC. So....

Open two instanses of CC. In one have your source map where you have all your "parts". In the second your new map.
    There are two versions of the copy command, the one on the button bar is copy in drawing, the one on the "edit menu" will let you copy between the two instances of CC.
    So all you need to do is select the object(s) you wish to move using the "copy" command from the "edit" menu. Go to the new map and use "paste" from "edit" menu to place the objects where you want them.

As a newbe this may seem easier than what Anna is suggesting and it may be utill you learn the program better, but in the long run makeing the common objects into symbols is going to be better.
  • Thanks for the advice, it took a decent amount of time to get used to, but I finally "perfected" cutting and pasting: it is not the straightforward ctrl-c/ctrl-v of your friendly neighborhood OS.

TO MAKE A COPY INSIDE THE SAME DOCUMENT
    1) left-click COPY (may have to right-click and select "copy in drawing" if you had previously done something else with the button)
    2) left click start point of selection
    3) drag box to cover what you want to copy
    3) left click end point of selection, make sure all of the things you want selected are there
    4) right-click->Do It
    5) left click near the object and now you will have a "floating" copy of your selection
    6) left click to stamp it, repeat stamp as necessary
    7) if you get out of pasting, click edit->paste (easiest way) and you will go back to step 5

TO MAKE A COPY IN ANOTHER DOCUMENT
    1) right-click copy and select "copy to clipboard"
    2) left click start point of selection
    3) drag box to cover what you want to copy
    3) left click end point of selection, make sure all of the things you want selected are there
    4) right-click->Do It
    5) left click near the object.
    7) click edit->paste and paste one copy into your document to make sure you got what you wanted.
    8) go to the another instance of CC3
    9) click edit->paste and now you will have a floating object to paste with a left-click

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I appreciate the guidance!
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Remember that the ctrl+v/ctrl+c shortcuts still work nicely for fast access to the copy command itself, you don't need to select copy from the button or the menu. You still need to perform the rest of the steps though, but remember to look at the command line. It guides you through every step of everything you do.

Also, for steps 2-3 (both steps 3) in your list, you don't have to drag a selection rectangle. In many cases, it is faster to just click on the edge of each object you wish to include and they will be selected.