What size (unit) is my map?

I've returned to my first map project after some months away from it and I now realise that I do not remember precisely how I set it up. I can measure that it is 10 000 x 10 000 ... but 10 000 what? The scale I have on it does not say what unit it is in. If I look at drawing properties and drawing units, it says Inches and inches per unit is 1. I am guessing this is a default that I forgot to change, because I definitely had intended the map to be metric and also quite large as it is supposed to be a world map. And this would seem to suggest that my map is 10 000 inches by 10 000 inches?

If so, I definitely need to change that, if possible. It was supposed to be 10 000 km by 10 000 km.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Map units are kind of an abstract thing, easily configured to whatever you need them to be (miles or km for overland maps, feet or meters for dungeons and cities, and so on).
    Because CC3(+) is also considering the print size of things, there isn't an actual choice for km/miles in the map property box (imagine the size of the paper), but that doesn't really matter, the map unit is really whatever you need them to be, CC3(+) really only sees them as map units no matter if they represents inches, meters or light years, that's just how the internal representation works. So if you intended your map to be metric, and it measures 10000 by 10000 map units, then it is 10000 by 10000 km, easy as that.
    As long as your map units measure something sensible, you are good. If on the other hand you wanted your map to be 10000 km, but the measurement showed 3980, then you would have needed to take action, but as long as the number is good, all is good.
  • Thank you! Been reading through the manual to get more of a sense of how the program works, but it does take some getting used to. :)