Sheets and Layers Question

Just when I thought I had it cracked.....
I originally experienced problems on CC3 when trying to use two shades of contours, one within the other (to show for example hills, and higher ones), or with a lake, with a darker blue nearer the middle. The second contour always disappeared. I read through the forums, and realised I needed to add a sheet or layer just for the extra contour. I thought it worked.

Recently I did the attached floorplan and posted it here and at Cartographers Guild for comments. One of the comments was that "tiling" was very evident. Hmm. Correct. No problem I thought. What I did originally was lay down a black marble floor, then added a new Sheet and Layer both called "Floors Dust". I made sure this layer was below the marble floor sheet in the lists, so it would draw on top of them (correct?).

So to remove the tiling effect of the dust all I had to do was delete the sheet and layer for the dust, add them again, and do patches of "dust" that would butt up or overlap - no more tiling. Simple.

It appears that the dust floor has gone down onto the original floor, the only way to remove it is to remove both of them together. WHY?

When I did the "dust" effect I first created the new sheet and layer, positioned them where I wanted in the list, and right clicked on the "default" button on the left to give me a free selection of flooring. I knew that left clicking sometimes selcts the sheet / layer that DD3 "thinks" you want, but right clicking, AND checking the info bars at the top of the screen to prove they hadn't changed should have done it. Shouldn't it?

I thought I had cracked the common problem understanding sheets and layers and "disappearing" items. But it seems not.

Can anyone help explain in words of one syllabub? (I meant syllable, but a feel a bit of a pudding) :)

Attached is the FCW if it helps

Bonzer

Comments

• I'll give you an example.

I put all of my land contours on the land contours sheet.

But I put them on different layers in the sequence of their height. Lowest height first.

The zip file of the template on this page, surface maps color chart will show you in cc2/cc3 format what I mean.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    If you create a sheet called FLOORS something, and then then use a floor drawing tool, it should place the floor on the sheet you've created. I've just tried it and it does. It's possible we've set up the sheet value on one draw tool wrong. Which one did you use?

Layers are not ordered at all. They are simply a category.

I'm looking at the drawing. What am I supposed to see that I can't?

Simon
  • Thank you Jim. I'm sure I understand that the point of sheets is they have effects - but the effect for any particular sheet affects everything on it. Hence for differing shadows for high and low walls, you would have a seperate hi and low wall sheet.

Simon, also thank you.
    If you are able to use the FCW to open the sheets and layers lists you will see I have created a Floors Dust Sheet. I put the Main floor (Floor Tile Marble Black Straight) on the FLOORS Sheet and created a new Sheet FLOORS DUST on which I placed (I thought) the dust effect (Floor Dirt Grey 1 T Straight). With the Layers I beleive I used the Background Floor 1 for the main floor and Background Floor 2 for the "dust" effect.

What you can see therefore are two floors, which should be on two seperate sheets / layers. I discovered they weren't when (as I wrote above) I went to try and remove the "tiling" effect of the dust, intending to reapply it in smaller areas that would still cover the floor but wouldn't necessarily look "tiled". But that is just a symptom. Can you tell me where I am wrong in the steps below....

1. R Click on the Floor button top left of DD3.
    2. Select a floor style, draw the outline, R Click to fill.
    3. Create a new sheet called FLOORS DUST.
    4. Move it so it appears just below FLOORS in the sheet list (therefore is placed above anything on FLOORS in the map).
    5. Make it current by having a tick in the left box of FLOORS DUST on the Sheets List
    5. R click on the Floor button top left of DD3.
    6. Select a floor style, draw it on top of the initial one, R click to fill.
    7. (hold breath) Redraw, and both should still be in place. What is more, they should both be on their own sheet (which is not the case in the FCW attached.

CC3 - If in the list above you transpose The Floor button for Contours, and similarly create a new contour (something) sheet I get a similar problem. It must therefore be me, but I don't understand why.

I hope that makes sense, and doesn't come across as a rant or ramble. I can see a logic, but perhaps am missing something.

Thank you for your patience.

Bonzer
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: bonzerCan you tell me where I am wrong in the steps below....
    Nothing, as far as I can tell. I even started a new map, and followed your list to the letter just to make sure I didn't miss anything, and the result comes out exactly as it should, with the "dust" on it's own sheet, drawn on top of the floor sheet. The list command confirms this, and hidng all sheets except floors dust shows expected result.

I also tried in the drawing you attached (Skipping steps 3/4 since it already had the FLOORS DUST sheet), and everything went perfect there as well. Are you sure you are following your own list to the letter? Assuming you are, do you have the latest patch (v3.24, Patch 7) installed?
  • edited February 2009
    Monsen, Thank you also for your patience and trying the steps I thought logical and correct. Your response tells me it is one of two things, either me (probably) or an incorrect install. As everyting else seems to work ok it looks like me.

I am patched up to v3.24

Now, I work strange hours and days, but next time I get a chance (middle of next week) I'll try and see if I can pin it down further. Like I said, I have experienced similar problems with CC3. Exploring the problem is educational if nothing else. I knew it would be a bit of a learning curve, but at least I passed the theory test on sheets and layers (knidergarten level).

If I continue to find a problem on this I'll start a new thread with more useful detail from the start.

Thanks for all your help each of you.

Bonzer