Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2017 edited

Here is my draft of the Runcibor Region in the Dunor Valley, Ezrute. The map is 20x20 miles, and contains the village of Runcibor (in draft form atpresent), the Drunken Bear Inn (already in the Atlas) and Loupe Zu hamlet (soon to be in the atlas).
    In addition, I have attached a 20x20 mile grid of Dunor valley, in case anyone wants to do more 20x20 mile local maps
    The mapping style is Annual 104, Local Maps
    A bit more text goes next, but not much else
      Dunor Valley  Duncibor Region.JPG
      dunor valley grid.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2017

Looking very good so far. Loupe Zu did have a river running through it though, have you considered including that river on the local map too, running through the forest?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Thanks for the reminder
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Looks awesome, Q! Only thing i would do is adjust the resolution on the river :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Here is my update. Comments for improvement - I am writing up the notes now, and will submit this to Monsen in 48 hours. Hadrian, are the names OK?
      Dunor Valley  Duncibor Region2.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2017 edited

The name of the wolfy river doesn't match the one on the village map, which is 'Guadeloupe River'
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Damn! Fixed name and river resolution, and named cliffs after Angela Merkel
      Dunor Valley  Duncibor Region3.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Looking good, Quenten :)

Those are lovely mountains!

One thing - you seem to have a tree growing right in the middle of Guadalupe River between the bridge on the main road and the mountains ;)
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Looks great Q! Love it. The only suggestion i have is maybe grab those trees in front of the mountains and use the "bring to front" option - it seems they are getting lost is the faded out bottom of the mountain symbols since they seem to be behind them on your Symbol sheet. What i did on my World/Regional map for my homebrew is create a Trees sheet to avoid this, as i noticed it all over my own map!

Thanks for another great contribution! How was your trip, by the way?
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

Maybe worth tweaking some of the mountain and hill placements a little, as the rivers seem a bit "floaty" through the mountains at present, while the headwaters of the Bjorn and Guadeloupe rivers seem to duck under the hills in places. Perhaps like the concealed trees though, they're just keen to hide from the howling locals...
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Or there are artificial tunnels through the mountsins... dug by ancient civilizations that may or may not be still there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2017 edited

I hope I have fixed most concerns - and added a cave for Jim. next I will work on redoing an old village of mine for Runcibor.
    The Map Notes are done, and I will submit this to Monsen in 30 hours, so please let me know of any more improvements to make.
      Dunor Valley  Duncibor Region4.JPG
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2017

There seems to be an issue with the new "Howling Reisen Marshes" label; even zooming-in I can't be certain exactly what it is, but the "M" seems to be partly overlapping the end of "Reisen" (which may be a font scaling issue due to the viewed map resolution), and the letter colouring seems to be oddly muddled among the label words as well.

Maybe also add a label for "Jim's" cave? And perhaps increase the size of the labels on the scale bar?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Fixed, thanks for pointing these out, Wyvern
      Dunor Valley  Duncibor Region5.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

This is really nice! Pär Lindström's Local Area Maps style was a great choice. It has a pleasant, rustic/pastoral, feel to it (I believe Ralf called it "whimsical" in the mapping guide). The map has a great color palette and is very pleasant to view — which also belies some of the dangers lurking within it. The river and lake fill style looks a little out of place to me, but only a little. At the same time — again for me at any rate — it adds a subtle hint that something is a little off about the area. I like the smattering of trees you placed throughout the mountains.

Just as important, it looks like a great place for some unexpected adventure!

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2017

Yes, it has the feel of some nice, pleasant countryside villages that hide some ancient secret. By day the locals work their fields, but at night they gather in torch-wielding mobs to hunt things that come out in the dark....
    • CommentAuthorJensen
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2017

This map invites to take bow and axe! I would like to play there, when will the campaign start?
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Looks great completed! I really like how you snaked the river through those mountains!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Two new great maps for the atlas. Quenten's Runcibor Region, as well as Quenten's Loupe Zu Village adaption for the atlas of Sue's Raoul Village.
    • CommentAuthorGathar

Hello Quenten,

I have a small issue with this map, I'm not sure if it's just me... The top half of the map really looks like a top view map (with 3D symbols, but this is fine), while the bottom half looks a little bit more like a 3D view. I can't exactly pinpoint what give me this feeling... Maybe it's the winding river at the bottom, maybe it's the feeling that the mountain symbol are at scale, being a real representation of what a bird would see, while the village symbols are just symbols.

Both half of the map look wonderful, but put together, they give me a kind of unease, just like when you look at those impossible perspective drawings (Escher-style).
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2017 edited

Sorry you feel that way, but the die is cast, and it is now in the Atlas. I see what you mean in part, but I quite like it this way, sorry it makes you feel queasy (werewolf venom, perhaps). The style looks that way, and I used it exclusively. I rather like it, and will use it again.