Import Confusion

For those of you that have been following ScottA's Imperial Dragon Island map, his map is for a challenge over at the CG where we have to take the shape of an island, and turn it into a map. We have 4 island shapes to choose from. I had not planned on joining this challenge, because I knew that I would somehow have to import the island shape into cc3+, and I admit, I have no idea how to do that. I've never had to do it in the year and a half that I've had this program.

But I've just finished my map for the other challenge, and I started thinking about the challenge that ScottA is in. Plus I have an idea for a 'map style' that I want to try, to see if I can pull it off, and I decided it's about time I step out of my comfort zone and try something new. So I went to the user's manual, and I found the section that talks about converting old maps to cc3+. As far as I can tell, this section best describes how to import an image to make it work in cc3+, so I started following the directions.

I've turned the map shape I want to use into a png from a jpeg. I created my new overland map in the size I wanted (I went 250 x200). I set up the new PNG sheet and set it above the land sheet, and I set my layer to the temp layer. I inserted the island shape file just as the directions say to, and moved and sized it down so that it fits. I noticed that the original shape was extremely pixellated, so I sized it far enough down to remove the pixellation, figuring that once I trace it, and put it on the land sheet, I can resize it as needed.

But now I'm lost. According to the manual it says I can now 'bump' everything forward. Bump my landmass forward, bump my terrain forward, etc. Bump forward? What does that mean, exactly? Is this as easy as tracing the shape on the png sheet and copy/pasting on to the landmass sheet? Is there something I'm missing? Is there a better explanation in the Tome somewhere? I looked, but of course, I'm not sure what I'm looking for so I can't find it.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited November 2017
    The idea here is that you put your PNG on a separate sheet before the LAND sheet in the drawing order, then use a land drawing tool to trace the shape in the image. This landmass should automatically end up on the LAND sheet, so no need to copy/paste anything. But, the landmass will now cover up the island image, so if you you wish to trace other features (lakes, rivers, mountains, etc), you need to move the sheet with the island image to later in the drawing order (bumping it) so that it temporarily covers the landmass while you trace other features. Once all features are traced, you can hide the sheet with the image.
  • Josh.P.Josh.P. Traveler
    edited November 2017
    I made a video on this. Check is out here:
  • *smacks forehead* doh! Okay, now that makes sense! In the manual it goes from importing the image on a separate sheet, to the bumping forward (not saying 'move the sheet down'). It doesn't mention the tracing that comes in between. That's why I got confused.
  • daplunk, I love your video! Not only did you show me a good alternate way of doing the import/trace, but you also gave me ideas and inspiration to use some of those land fill tools I've never used. I love the way you showed some techniques in a way I hadn't thought of... such as using the hills, then putting mountains right on top! Or using the forest drawing tool, then putting other forest symbols on top to get rid of the squares. And your map turned out fantastic!
  • Most welcome :)

I'm trying to increase my playlist of CC3+ videos so let me know if there is anything specific you want to see. I'm still very much a new user but as I learn things I'll keep trying to make videos so other new users can get over the learning curve themselves.
  • I use the trace method a lot. That's how I get my FT shapes into CC3+ (I know there are other ways, but for me tracing is the simplest, plus I can change and edit the shapes as I go). I usually keep my TRACE sheet at the bottom under MAP SCREEN and just hide it when I'm done, or even delete it.
  • What I have never figured out if if you can use the actual TRACE ability on an imported image. I don't think it's possible but I could be wrong.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    You can only use the trace tool on other vector polygons, so no - not on imported bitmaps.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited November 2017
    What I have never figured out if if you can use the actual TRACE ability on an imported image. I don't think it's possible but I could be wrong.
    You can't. Trace follows existing lines (entities) in your CC3+ drawing, it can't interpret a continuous string of pixels in an image as a line. Would be nice if it could, but identifying lines in an image are a way harder problem. Identifying elements in images are actually one of the weak points of computers, although they are certainly getting better.

• Haha thanks guys, suspected as much.