[WIP] The Ashur Empire

Part 1 - The Kingdom of Avandir

Hello everyone,

I'm - quite nervously - present my first map made. After taking my sweet time learning about the software and map making in general, I have finally completted the first part of a series of maps.
This map shows the Kingdom of Avandir, one of the seven kingdoms in the Empire of Ashur. Both are part of a web-novel I have started to write. I just can write better, when I have a visual help for tracking where characters go. Thus, a map was born.

Right now, I'm a bit at loss what to do with the botten left side marked as the Great Plains of Tanduria. Even though it is just a big scrubland, the Pär Lindström style is lacking in decorations. I'm thinking about adding a few hills and a river. If anyone has another idea, I would be thankful for input.

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited October 2017
    Hi GhostReaper. Welcome to CC3 and the ProFantasy forum!

No need to be nervous about posting your work here. We all love maps and Campaign Cartographer and are eager to see what others do with it. But even if that wasn't the case, you'd still have nothing to be nervous about — this is a nice map!

As for the Great Plains, I think they look okay as they are but I also agree with your instincts. A few hills might look nice. Maybe even a river?

In any event, It looks good, and I think you used Pär Lindström's style nicely! I hope you'll keep posting as you tweak your map and as you map out the other kingdoms of Ashur!

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • edited October 2017
    Hello Dogtag,

thanks for the evaluation!
    I let my instincts guide me, and besides the hills and river in the plains, I realized something else.
    The coastline was too neat and straight. So I overhauled these with more details. Also I switched the text font to Tolkien.

And last but foremost, I added some trees. I find the vegetation of Pär Lindströms Style a bit lacking for my purposes so I took the trees from Mike Schley.
    I think it makes the map a bit more lively.

Cheers, GhostReaper
  • GhostReaper, Welcome to the forums! Good job on your first map posted! Your update really makes the map pop - nice touch adding the hills and forests! Keep up the good work :)
  • The added river and hills are a great improvement for that part of the map. Nice map!
  • Hi everyone,

thanks for the kind words :)

I have a little update for this map, even though it's very small:
    Political borders.

I had some difficulties in finding the best style for those political borders. I'm not perfectly happy with it, but it was the best I came up with.
    Even though, this map doesn't particullary need it, the following maps in the series will need them.

Also, I found out, how to raise the resolution while exporting the map :D
    So enjoy better resolution!
  • Part 2 - The Kingdom of Ossina
    Hi guys,

I've got the base for the second map now. Infratructure, cities and Texts are still missing, but it's a start.
    At the start, I had some trouble resizing the map to the correct ratio. Pär Lindström's template starts off with a fixed 5:4 ratio and it took me a while to figure out, how to resize it to the 7:5 retio I needed for this.
    Luckily I found the mapping guide to this after some time :D
  • This is turning out quite nicely. One thing I noticed: your rivers in the new map end at the coastline, instead of flowing into the sea. Unfortunately, I'm too brain-fried right now to remember he function to use to join river to sea.