Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2017

So I decided to make my first foray into the Community Atlas with a couple island areas. Here's Puia Hanahana from the Nga-Whenuatoto area, very early days. Just spent a couple hours laying the foundation, based on the original, so now we'll see where my mapping muse takes me for details....
      Puia Hanahana.JPG
    Awesome! I am looking forward to seeing what all you do with this. :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Great start, but only to be expected from you. Really looking forward to the next installments
    • CommentAuthorScottA

I did a little more on it this evening. It's rather small, so I don't want to go crazy.
      Puia Hanahana2.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2017

Great start, Scott! Thanks for joining us on the Atlas project - love getting new mappers on this!
    • CommentAuthorBarliman
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2017

Less is often more, I say. I like the way this is coming along.
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2017

A few changes so it looks more like the original, plus I decided against the bevel. I go back and forth about bevels -- sometimes I think they look good, and other times they make maps look like cutout cookies!
      Puia Hanahana.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I agree about the bevel. But this map is just outstanding. Hope you do some map notes, and looking forward to your text labels
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Thanks, Quenten. I was going to ask if notes were required and how they were to be presented (I'm guessing just here as text that will be added to a notes section on the main atlas page?). I don't know as I'm going to do a lot more to it beyond labels now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Notes is not required, this is mainly about mapping. But if you want to provide map notes/flavor text with your map, you are more than welcome to do so, and they will be embedded into your map as a map note, as well as being accessible from the web viewer.

If notes are added, they should be in plain text, or if you want to produce a more fancy document for the website, I will need a plain-text version of the same text for the map note.
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Got it. Thanks, Monsen. I may add a little something for atmospheric flavor....
    • CommentAuthorBarliman

This island just has to have dinosaurs. :)
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Oh, but it does...!
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2017 edited

...and, I think this is it. Just have to write a bit of text to go along with it and we're done. Might just adjust some of the text placement.
      Puia Hanahana2.JPG
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Looks great!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Looks like an interesting place. Looks very low on civilization though, did the dinosaurs eat everyone?
    This looks great! I love the way you did the lava flow into the ocean in particular. You may want to read the notes from main map and then add onto those. Again, wonderful work! :-)
    • CommentAuthorGathar

Nice map. Does "Konga Maunga Mamoea" translates into "Home of the mighty Kong"?
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2017 edited

Thanks! According to the main map notes, there is only one small human settlement on the island -- volcano-worshiping holy men who have disappeared. The notes also say that this area of the atlas is inhabited by three intelligent races -- tribal humans, lizardmen and intelligent carnivorous apes. So the other three settlements on the island are lizardfolk. Most of the area is savage, "lost world" environs with dinosaurs and megafauna (and flora).

The text I based on Maori but altered it a little. Also, some lizardman language bits I was able to pull together from various sources. "Authenticity" is always important.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

The text for three words beginning with M overlap a bit - perhaps needs a longer curve for Text along a curve, which I assume you have used. But what a great map.
    Awesome! :-)
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Yeah, Quenten, I think that's a problem with using this font on a curve. I've tried expanding the line and it still comes out that way. I'll play with it some more, but those damn capital Ms are just so freaking wide! I even straightened some of the lines hoping that less of a curve would solve the issue. It helped. Or I may just change the font altogether.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

You might try adding spaces between the problematic letters, though that can be as hit and miss as adjusting the curves in what I've found.

And just a - somewhat facetious (but we've all seen the movie) - thought - might need a few more patrolling sea serpents to ensure the dinosaurs stay on ONLY this island...
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2017

Fixed the font and added some villages. NOW I think I'm done....
      Puia Hanahana3.JPG
    • CommentAuthorScottA

...and just for fun, I decided to do the tiny neighboring island, too. Spider Island. Should be a quickie as its tiny.
      Spider Island.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Gobsmackingly gorgeous.
    Oh I just love those webs!
    I can hardly wait to see what a lizardman village looks like and I can imagine a fortified island village for the priests (Possibly abandoned or in ruins). Then there are the volcanic caverns (With hidden temple?). So many possibilities - Lol! :-)
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Well, think I'm done with Puia Hanahana and little neighboring Spider Island. I have to finish the text and the required info and I'll send it to the Atlas Keeper. Um... who is that, exactly?
      Spider Island2.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Remy Monsen.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2017 edited

That's beautiful, Scott :D

Just one thing that caught hold of my imagination as a result of looking at your map...

How about a spiderweb frame? Yes... No... ?

(I think I'm still very impressed with your Imperial Dragon Island map frame)
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2017 edited

Ooo... a spiderweb FRAME. Nice idea. I never think of frames as they are new to me and I've never used them before my Imperial Dragon Island map. I will have to see what I can come up with. I'm trying to stick totally with CC3+ official symbols and textures for the community atlas, and not use any of my own, but I'll see if I can't make something work....
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2017

Scott is making a smashing debut to the atlas with not one, but two excellent maps:
    - Puia Hanahana
    - Spider Island

Thanks for the contribution Scott, and welcome to the project.