Raoul Village

Here's an afternoon doodle for you :)

I was reading a list of wolf/werewolf names, and playing around with a bit of parchment, and this just kind of happened.

[Image_9560]

Its a bit hard to read at this scale. The full size version is here:

https://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=39495

Comments

• So the wolf's bane would be the flowers blooming between the homes of Filtiarn and Freki, I imagine?

For after all, in the words of the fabled ancient sage Siodmak*, "Even a man who is pure in heart, and says his prayers by night, May become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright"!

But no Larry Talbot?

[* Curt Siodmak (1902-2000) - see here should anyone need reminding about this and the significance of the Talbot reference, or for those unaware of such matters till now...]
  • Any chance of plopping this into the nibirum Atlas? It's a fab village.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Wyvern - you clearly know a heck of a lot more than I do about werewolves :P

I literally just found a list of names online and decided to use them to make a seemingly innocent little village. This was just an afternoon doodle.

Quenten - Sure you can have it, but the problem here is only the houses are a regular part of CC3. All the textures and trees are one that I have made, and the way I made the map I didn't insert the flowering bushes and those of the trees from that set from the same catalogue that I gave to Remy for the atlas.

I wasn't anticipating that it would be more than a doodle.

Tell you what - I really don't mind if you, or someone else wants to make a more compatible direct copy (or modified) of Raoul village specifically for the album. How does that sound? Its not a long and time consuming map to make, or it shouldn't be. You would just have to be a bit resourceful in deciding what allowable textures you could swap mine out for.

I can upload the map right here for you to take, if you want, but it would only be full of red crosses until you worked on it. Even the text is a font that probably no one else will have, so you will have to replace that as well, unless I explode it first.
    edited October 2017
    Thank you Storm :)

Quenten - here is the FCW. I've exploded the text so its still there for you when you open it. The rest is very much up to you, though. the file is probably going to feel a bit alien. I'm very freestyle when it comes to sheets, and tend to delete everything except the ones that I actually want, to keep it short but sweet.

I expect this is really obvious anyway, but I'd better say it anyway. The original image I exported and the original file is my copyright, but anything you make as a derivative is entirely yours. Ok? At least I think that's how I officially give it to you to work on for your own map?
  • Loopysue suggested:Wyvern - you clearly know a heck of a lot more than I do about werewolves :P
    Nah; just a fan of the old Universal horror movies of the 1920s to 1940s!

And as they say, I used to be a werewolf, but I'm alright now-oooow...
  • ScottAScottA Surveyor
    Fun map. I edited a book of werewolf stories a few years back, so they are near and dear to my heart.
    LOL! Wyvern :D

Scott - thanks, I was hoping it would be a bit of light hearted relief ;)
  • This is very cool. Fresh and appealing.
    Oh my! *blush*

Thank you, Joachim :D
  • Here is my version of Raoul Village, aptly renamed Loupe Zu Village. I didn't know how to use Sue's Trees that are in the Community Atlas - do they have to be in a specific directory?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited November 2017
    Posted By: QuentenI didn't know how to use Sue's Trees that are in the Community Atlas - do they have to be in a specific directory?
    Yes, but it isn't complicated. Just download the trees from the atlas download package (grab the package intended for the atlas, they are clearly labeled), then unzip it anywhere on your computer. Now, the important thing is that you save and work on your map inside the 'your map here' folder found in the download. The reason you need to use this folder is to make relative file paths correct for the atlas. Here you will find the symbol catalog for the trees too.
    Once it is done, it is ready to be moved into any continent folder in the actual atlas.
  • So if my map is in C:\Artemisia, I would have the fills and trees in that same folder, and not in the CC3+\symbols\user folder.
    No. You just need to download the atlas tree zip, unzip it (anywhere), and move your map into the 'your map here' folder in the download.

(Technically, if you really wish to keep your map in c:\artemisia, you can put the files from the 'your map here' folder into that folder, and put the 'Resources' folder from the archive as c:\resources [but do NOT put 'resources' inside c:\artemisia], but I recommend just using the directory structure from the downloaded zip and not move anything around, that is far easier.)
  • My revised version, to put in the Atlas somewhere. Comments, esp re improvements (esp from Loupe Zu)
    LOL! Love the new name :D

You did very well with it - congratulations :D

One thing you might want to sort out is to put the bushes (smaller trees) on the bushes sheet, since the drop shadow on the tree sheet is making them look like they are floating just a bit ;)

I also very much like your previous version!
    Oh yes - I'm going to update my own version by taking out the blur/edge fade inner on the river and the road. That's been commented on over at the Guild as being a detracting element ;)
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    +1 for the new name. Nicely played, sir.
  • I was disturbed a little bit by the old name. Raoul is a French first name, but it's not used a lot nowadays, and it has a negative connotation, like someone being not very sophisticated (which might be fitting a lot, by the way).

For instance, here you can find a French role playing game named Raoûl: http://www.legrog.org/visuels/couvertures/2382.jpg
    The subtitle can be translated "The roleplaying game with smelly armpits"... And no, it's not a serious game, but a satirical one.

Anyways, I like both versions of the map. I think I slightly prefer the smoothness of the version by Sue, it make everything pop out a little bit more, I think. But I like the added details by Quenten (the blood, the giant wolves...)
    Thank you, Gathar :)

That's interesting about the name. The meaning of the English first name "Raoul" is as a form of "Ralph", meaning 'Wolf Counsel'

Just goes to show I can never use a real name for something and guarantee the rest of the world will read it the same as I do :P
  • I actually like the blurriness of the river - like ink ran on the old parchment. I'll get started on the text - it will be a werewolf village, perhaps set in Peredur (Ruma Helrevy) unless someone else has a good spot for it.
    The Ruma Helrevy region can be a good place for it, but I would like to argue that a village as small as this one is far to small to show up on a map of the scale of the main Ruma Helrevy map, there should be at least one intermediate map level with a regional map of a smaller scale. I am not trying to be difficult here, but atlas navigation works much better when there is a reasonable scale between any two linked maps, and adding a tiny village to the main Ruma Helrevy map also adds features that are of a completely disproportionate scale of what that map depicts (The Ruma Helrevy region is larger than many European countries [and I am NOT referring to just those real tiny ones])

On the other hand, this is a perfect opportunity to make a regional map in the Ruma Helrevy region :)

Personally, I was thinking you could put it on Spiros Isle though, as the scale of that map seemed perfect to add a minor village, perhaps in the forest to the east.
  • I take your point about Ruma Helrevy. But no to Spiros. What about a site in the Dead Forest of JimP? Jim, can I have some input here?
  • In two minds over the new name. Yes, it's an ideal alternative. But it now means I can't call it Raoooooul Village...
    Dead Forest could work, although I remember Jim said he didn't want to add rivers because the area was to flat, so may not fit with that river in the village.

But I was also thinking Growler Bay on justice Island perhaps? Also one of Jim's maps, but maybe he could add a small village up in the hills near the river on that map, Guadeloupe River could be a tributary to the Mornful River.
    Posted By: WyvernIn two minds over the new name. Yes, it's an ideal alternative. But it now means I can't call it Raoooooul Village...
    Well if its in the Community Atlas you could download it and make your own version? Could even add a moon to the background if you liked - create a png of the moon, make a fill of it, use an overlay blend mode on the moon sheet... :P
    edited November 2017
    Here you go, Wyvern. I was modifying my version to include some of the suggestions I got at the Guild, so instead of just adding a bit of requested grunge I added a rectangular map of the moon to the parchment ;)

[Image_9592]

Here is the full sized image at the Guild